Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hi - Since cataract procedure for R. eye in Oct., Ive had

Hi - Since cataract procedure for R. eye in Oct., I've had a few odd symptoms - slight dizziness/unstable, 'grainy' vision in that eye - vision almost appears to vibrate at times - scratchy sensation at times.
My eye doctor said "give it a week" after the procedure to feel normal again - it's taking a lot longer than that. I did the eyedrop protocol pretty faithfully for 3-4 wks. after procedure. (I also wonder if those meds did some harm.)
I'm a male, 64 yrs. old, good general health.
Do you have any advice?
Pls advise. Thank you! - Phil
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

First of all the use of Pred Forte and the antibiotic drops your doctor had you on after surgery would not cause any damage to your eye at all.

Customer:

ok. 2 eyedrop meds were used after the antibiotic

Dr. Rick :

it is not uncommon, however, for people to have issues with dry eyes, sometimes allergies and also blepharitis after cataract surgery. These conditions can easily cause unstable/grainy vision and a scratchy sensation.

Dr. Rick :

What were the two meds you used?

Customer:

Nevanac & Prednisolone

Dr. Rick :

Nevanac is a common "aspirin" for the eye. It can make a dry eye condition worse sometimes even while it helps with inflammation. The prednisolone is the normal steroid used after surgery to help decrease swelling inside your eye after cataract surgery. This would not cause the issues you have having.

Dr. Rick :

The good news? There is a simple home therapy you can try at home that I think has an excellent chance of making you better.

Dr. Rick :

When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes are very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production, if this doesn’t work then you can try temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then, if needed, temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then, if indicated, surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta. The openings to your tear drainage system are called puncta and you have one opening on each lid, near your nose.

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk. You may not be able to see this “gunk” yourself, unless it is really bad, but it shows up clearly on slit lamp examination.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

ok. what about the cont. slight dizziness & instability? & grainy vision?

Dr. Rick :

If your doctor still wants you to use the prednisolone drops,. make sure you continue to use them as directed.

Customer:

i'm done with them. procedure was in Oct.

Dr. Rick :

The grainy vision can be caused by the issues I discussed above. As far as the dizziness and instability it is possible that your decreased vision could be contributing to these issues but, more then likely, these are not being caused by your eyes. It could be from an inner ear problem or perhaps sinus problems. You might want to visit with your internal medicine physician about this.

Dr. Rick :

Ok.

Dr. Rick :

Then don't worry about the steroids then.....

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest