Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Streaking white light in peripheral vision of left eye

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Customer: Yes
Dr. Rick :

Welcome to chat. Have you noticed any spot in your left eye floating about.? Also, is your right eye involved at all?

Customer: No, it's just my left eye. It's a circular streak around the corner of the eye. Noticed it yesterday, and I'm feeling a little off. Upset stomach
Dr. Rick :

How long did this circular streak last?

Customer: Just a minute or two, it stops. I really notice it in the dark.
Dr. Rick :

How often does it happen would you say?

Customer: It happened a couple of times last night and it is happening now, just started abut 15-20 minutes ago. I had a feeling of wanting to faint before it happened. I didn't faint it was just the beginning of that type of feeling.
Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you are suffering from ocular migraines. Many times these events can be associated with nausea, a weak feeling and, sometimes, a headache may follow the visual effects, although not all the time.

Dr. Rick :

A typical migraine headache starts with shimmering lights, often times they surround a blurry area or have dots or jaggedly lines associated with them. They tend to progressively increase in intensity and sometimes march across the visual field causing difficulty with reading. Many times this is then accompanied by nausea, irritability, sensitivity to bright lights and/or loud noises. After the onset of the lights (called scintillating scotomas), the headache typically starts and the light show tends to progressively go away.

Many people can have this migraine phenomenon without the headache; it is called an acephalgic migraine. Some people even start having these late in life, or may have had a few much earlier in life that behaved differently and haven't had any for decades and then begin to have them; this is not uncommon. A family history of migraines is often present as well.

This is nothing to worry about. It is not a sign of a more serious underlying condition, brain tumor or anything like that. If the episodes become so frequent that they are bothersome there are medicines that can be used to decrease their frequency or stop an episode once it has started.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer: Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX wondering if it was serious
Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a good evening

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.