Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I am looking for chair used when you have Vitrectomy. Is there

I am looking for chair used when you have Vitrectomy. Is there rental chair available, at this Hospital. Realize this is not question you normally get. I can rent one in Texas, but it was needed like yesterday. We live close enough to Philly that we could pick it up. Any help you can give us would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks XXXXX

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Is you son needing to stay in a face down position due to macular or retinal detachment surgery with gas left in his eye?

Dr. Rick :

as you have already noted since this is Sunday every place that rents these chairs will be closed today. One thing that you might be able to do is purchase one of those inflatable donut cushions that people use for painful hemorrhoids and using some surface as the dining room table and a comfortable chair, get your son in a comfortable position until tomorrow when you can rent a facedown chair.

Dr. Rick :

You can also use small pillows to brace his face/head while laying flat in bed, on a couch etc..

Dr. Rick :

Hi. Welcome to chat.

Dr. Rick :

Are you there?

Customer:

Dr Rick Yes he has to stay in face down position. Sorry my computer is old and slow

Dr. Rick :

That is ok. I am a retinal specialist and deal with this issue all the time. While it easier to have a special chair, if you go online and see how the chairs are set up you can improvise a very acceptable alternative at home.

Customer:

He has improvised, but he has to do for 2 TWO weeks. Hope the chair will have the View Mirror and be able to watch TV

Dr. Rick :

I understand completely :) I think he will be OK until tomorrow when you should be able to get a hold of a chair. Make sure that you tell them you want the ability to watch TV as that is not always a standard feature with the rentals. I am glad that your son is going such a good job of staying face down as this is very, very important in his overall chance to regain as much vision as possible after the surgery.

Customer:

You didn't say it there is on available at the Hospital in case we can't find one locally.

Dr. Rick :

I've had patients who enjoyed listening to books on tape during this time. Many titles are available to rent at local libraries.

Dr. Rick :

I've never know a hospital to have any available to rent. The hospital I practice out of does not rent this type of equipment. That being said almost every medical equipment rental place has them. You, truly, shouldn't have any difficulty obtaining one for your son tomorrow.

Customer:

Listing to books is not of importants to me now. I really need to know if a chair is available at the EYE hospital in Philldelphia.

Dr. Rick :

Are you talking about Wills?

Customer:

YES

Dr. Rick :

They are one of the best eye care facilities in the world. I, however, as a lowly retina surgeon in Northern Wisconsin, do not know if they rent face down chairs. If I had to guess, I would say that they don't. You could call the hospital and ask to speak to the retina resident or retina fellow on-call and I am sure that they could answer your question. Would this mean I have to split my accept money with the young doctor on call? lol!

Dr. Rick :

Are you still there?

Customer:

yes. I guess you are unable to help. I though I was in contact with Wills Hospital. Hope we can find something local.

Dr. Rick :

Best of luck to your son. He is in excellent hands at Wills. Take care.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.