Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

eye..problem sorted out, or do I need to go back to glasses

I underwent laser eye correction three years ago.Lately I have found I have problems seeing properly, especially short - I cannot read music, which I was doing some months back. Even bedside reading is out.
What's happened, and can I have the problem sorted out, or do I need to go back to glasses?
The surgery was done in Nairobi.
david
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Hi David. Now that you have had lasik to get rid of your need for distance glasses you are like other people who don't need glasses to see well far away but have managed to live long enough to become presbyopic.

Dr. Rick :

This means that you, like myself and millions of others around the world are old enough to need reading glasses for near tasks such as reading, reading music and threading a needle. Further lasik surgery can not "fix" this.....but simple, inexpensive, over the counter reading glasses can.

Dr. Rick :

Sure, if you would rather have surgery to address this problem you might consider clear lens extraction and monovision, where one eye is set for near tasks and one eye is set for distance tasks. I, however, would strongly recommend AGAINST this course of action.

Dr. Rick :

What do I recommend? Buy a bucket full of inexpensive reading glasses and leave them all over the house. This is what I do and it works great.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

Here is a good webpage on this topic:

Dr. Rick :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presbyopia

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there are

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. We can use the Q&A system to 'text message' each other. An email will be sent to each of us every time something is posted to this thread.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Dr Rick,
I take it you are simply suggesting that I should just get reading glasses? The doctor who did the laser surgery did not indicate this, though I presume this was because at that time it worked?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
That is correct. The laser surgery only corrects distance vision. The only way to do both distance and near is to have one eye set for distance and one eye set for near....even at that sometimes you need readers for certain near tasks.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest