Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

fluid leak in my left eye ... my optomistrist when asked

I have been diagnosed this week as having a fluid leak in my left eye ... my optomistrist when asked said there is nothing I can do to heal this faster, I believe there are always things you can do to heal faster ... what do you think?

Welcome to Just Answer

Was it the optometrist who diagnosed with this "fluid leak"?

Was it done after a dilated eye exam?

How is the vision in the left eye now? Is there a reduction in vision in the left eye?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

yes it was an optometrist and yes it was after my eyes were dilated .. my eye is fuzzy.foggy just off the center of the visual field ... if I looked at your face with just my left eye your facial features would look very fuzzy or cloudy to use another word for it ... as well when I look at a bright light for a few seconds and look away or close my eye I have a black or white after image that is the same size , iregular circle .. like a blotch .. my doctor did schedule an appointment with a retinal specialist in dec 29, but in the mean time if there is anything I can do to make it heal faster I would like to know that because right now its very distractiing plus my uneffected eye gets very tired by the end of the day.

I guess I just do not believe his answer that tere is noting I can do to help it heal faster.

Thank you for the reply and additional information.

It is likely that the optometrist would have seen something suggestive of CSR(central serous retinopathy). More often than not it is idiopathic( wherein the exact cause is not known) and prognosis is excellent in most of the cases with good visual recovery. The diagnosis is made after a fundus exam(dilated eye exam) followed by fundus fluorescein angiography(FFA)- here a dye is injected in the arm and serial photos of the back of the eye are taken on a fundus camera and looked for leakage of the dye. If leak is found then it can be closed with the help of laser. Stress is definitely an important precipating factor and needs to be reduced. Any form of corticosteroids should be withdrawn and alternative medicine can be given. Unfortunately no other form of treatment has been found to help in faster recovery or healing.

I guess it is best to go ahead with the appointment with the retina specialist for further investigations and confirmation of the diagnosis.

Thank you and best wishes.

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and/or positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist
Untreated cases do resolve naturally between 3-6 months and most often the visual recovery is good. Only rarely do complications occur in the form of new vessels for which lasers are beneficial. Sometimes a weak plus lens can help to improve vision ( but gives only symptomatic relief in some).