Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Ive had flare-ups of uveitis off and on for over 8 years.

Customer Question

I've had flare-ups of uveitis off and on for over 8 years. I've always been treated with pred forte drops and the inflammation goes away for a while but recurs within weeks or months.
This time, my flare-up includes what I can only describe as a large "sun spot" in my left eye. I saw the ophthalmologist today, and he couldn't find anything to explain this large, gray blob in my vision. It's quite pronounced, especially when I'm looking at a computer screen, like right now. He did say that I had a lot of inflammation in my right eye, so he prescribed pref forte drops again for both eyes, just in case the sun spot in my left eye is a result of inflammation that he can't see. I'm on an HMO, and I've seen 4 different ophthalmologists over the last 3 years. Each one of them has said that they might refer me to a retina specialist, but they've all been reluctant to do so, and I've yet to be referred.
My other symptoms, which I have lived with for years now, is vision distortion in my left eye (straight lines appear wavy), blue lights streaming across my vision when I'm tired, and constant "strobe" lights (movement) in the corners of my vision. I don't notice the strobe lights or movement anymore, but it's always there.
This latest symptom is really annoying, and I'm just wondering what it could be. Thanks.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I would guess by that fact that you are using pred forte drops that your inflammation is limited to your anterior chamber. Over the years that you have been being treated for your recurrent bouts of inflammation I am sure that you have had a workup looking for underlying contributing causes of your uveitis. Do you know what your testing has shown?

Customer:

I had a workup about 8 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Where in your visual field is this sunspot you notice in your left eye located? Is it in the center, the side etc? Also, is it always present and does it stay in the same spot?

Customer:

It's just a bit off center. It is always present and it stays in the same spot

Dr. Rick :

Have you ever had your inflammation involve the back of your eye (vitritis or posterior uveitis)?

Customer:

I believe so. At one time I was treated with a steroid injection in my eye.

Customer:

Once i had a diagnosis of pars planitis. Another time optic neuritis. But mostly uveitis.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Well, there are a number of things that could be causing this sunspot in your vision. The most common would be damage/swelling or leaking in an area of your retina called the macula. Also, it could be due to inflammation on the back of your cornea or cataract formation, although I would expect these causes to be fairly obvious on slit lamp exam.

Dr. Rick :

The optic neuritis could also cause this spot in your vision.......

Customer:

yes, i had a test done today that checked for swelling, but the doctor didn't see anything there

Dr. Rick :

If the results of your workup 8 years ago was not definitive, or if thing seem to be getting worse, I would suggest repeating the workup as well as having a complete eye exam by a retina specialist.

Customer:

things definitely seem to be getting worse now. Although I know that MS is not considered to be hereditary, my father died due to complications from MS recently, and eye issues were one of the first things he noticed. I realize this makes me a bit more sensitive than normal, but I am concerned about this recent development. I guess that I should insist on further testing as well as a referral. do you agree?

Dr. Rick :

As a retina specialist I see a large number of uveitis cases, not so much because a general ophthalmologist can't do an excellent job of dealing with these conditions but rather because it is sometimes good to take another look at the issue from a different point of view. Also, if the retina and vitreous become involved a retina doc can offer good advice.

Dr. Rick :

I do not think that MS would be in any way responsible for your recurrent episodes of uveitis. And, yes. I agree that a referral to a retina specialist is a good idea at this point with the possibility of repeating a uveitis workup if indicated.

Customer:

ok, thank you

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a good evening.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the Accept button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.

Please feel free to ask me another question – if you’re a subscriber, you can do so at no additional cost beyond your monthly payment. Please bookmark my profile page here so you can come back and ask me a question anytime: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-rick/