Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

two recent episodes of temporary tunnel vision

My husband has experienced two recent episodes of temporary tunnel vision. I don't know how long the first episode lasted by the most recent was this week and lasted 45 minutes to 1 hour.

Is this an area of concern? Should he see an Ophthalmologist or his family doctor?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

It sounds like he may be experiencing the visual effects of an ocular migraine.

A typical migraine headache starts with shimmering lights, often times they surround a blurry area or have dots or jaggedly lines associated with them. They tend to progressively increase in intensity and sometimes march across the visual field causing difficulty with reading. Many times this is then accompanied by nausea, irritability, sensitivity to bright lights and/or loud noises. After the onset of the lights (called scintillating scotomas), the headache typically starts and the light show tends to progressively go away.
Many people can have this migraine phenomenon without the headache; it is called an acephalgic migraine. Some people even start having these late in life, or may have had a few much earlier in life that behaved differently and haven't had any for decades and then begin to have them; this is not uncommon. A family history of migraines is often present as well.
This is nothing to worry about. It is not a sign of a more serious underlying condition, brain tumor or anything like that. If the episodes become so frequent that they are bothersome there are medicines that can be used to decrease their frequency or stop an episode once it has started.
I, personally, have been suffering from this condition for almost 30 years. I almost never got the headaches after the visual effects and, hopefully, this will continue to be your experience.

Does this make sense to you?

I would suggest he be evaluated by an ophthalmologist for this issue.

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the Accept button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.

Please feel free to ask me another question – if you’re a subscriber, you can do so at no additional cost beyond your monthly payment. Please bookmark my profile page here so you can come back and ask me a question anytime:

If you have a chance drop me a note and let me know how things turn out. You can post to this thread or ask for me at the main screen at no additional charge.