Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Last night I noticed a had a pain behind my right eye. If I

Last night I noticed a had a pain behind my right eye. If I closed my eye and gently touched
the upper outer area I experienced a stabbing sensation. I figured it was just a headache, so
I took some Advil. But when I woke this morning the pain is still there. There is no redness,
no blurred vision, no dryness, no itching, no h/o migraine headaches. Just wondering what it
may be.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Is your vision affected? Is the pain on your eyelid or more on your eyeball? Do you wear contact lenses? When you look in the mirror, how does the affected eye look to you?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. We can use the Q&A system to 'text message' each other. An email will be sent to each of us every time something is posted to this thread.

I am still here and looking forward to your responses to my inquiries so that we can continue to work on your issue.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My vision is not affected. The eyelid itself is not painful at all. It is just when you gently press on the eye itself I get a shooting pain back into my head. I do not wear contact lenses. My eye looks perfectly normal when I look in the mirror. I did have Lasix surgery in January 2006, but have never had a problem with it at all. In fact I have had no problems with my eyes or vision until this.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Also if I look straight ahead there is no pain; however, if I gaze downward I do have pain in the eye. (right eye only)
Hi. You accepted too early :) Let's continue working on your question, shall we?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok. It is possible that you have a condition called optic neuritis. This can cause discomfort when looking down and when you push on the eyeball, all in the setting of an externally normal eye appearance. Many times there are visual field defects present also.

There are other conditions that can cause your symptoms and, as such, I would suggest you have a complete eye exam by an ophthalmologist in the near future to be safe.

I don't think that this is related to your history of lasik surgery.

Does this make sense to you?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes it does. Do you know how they would treat something like this?
First thing would be to figure out what causing your symptoms. There was a large study a few years ago, called the Optic Neuritis Treatment Trial, that found using steroids is not the correct thing to do in these cases, even though steroids were the treatment of choice for decades. Many times close observation is all that is necessary, once again depending on the underlying cause.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you so much for your expertise. I will make an appointment with my opthalmologist right away to get it checked out. Thanks Again!
My pleasure. Have a wonderful holiday season!

If you have a chance drop me a note and let me know how things turn out. You can post to this thread or ask for me at the main screen at no additional charge.