Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

About 6 weeks ago, I took a hit to the eye where I went temporarily

About 6 weeks ago, I took a hit to the eye where I went temporarily blind, I went to several ophthalmologists and was told that it would heal fine after extensive testing. However, I have still been seeing many more floaters than in my other eye, and every time i make sudden eye movements from down to up, I see a big flash on that eye... should I be worried about this or is it a normal part of the healing process?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer:

Hello

Dr. Rick :

No this is not part of the healing process, but it is most likely related to your trauma.

Dr. Rick :

What you are experiencing is called a posterior vitreous detachment with retinal traction.

Dr. Rick :

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes called the vitreous. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself, forms little clumps that you can see as dots, lines or bugs. As these clumps form the vitreous pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you may see.

It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam is precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightning storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Customer:

it has stood like this for some time now, i have been watching it carefully, it isn't getting worse but not better either

Customer:

like i mentioned, 6 weeks have passed since the incident

Dr. Rick :

In your case, however, I would suggest that you see your ophthalmologist in the near future to make sure that everything is OK with your retina. Of course, if you are experiencing any of the symptoms of retinal involvement that I reviewed above you should be seen ASAP.

Customer:

the flashes are always in the same place

Dr. Rick :

The flashes are coming from the area of traction. The feared complication of this traction is a retinal hole or tear that can, in some cases, progress to a detached retina.

Dr. Rick :

I'm not saying that you have a retinal detachment right now only that, given your history of trauma and your symptoms, you are at a much higher risk of getting one then the average person on the street.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

am i to understand this is a normal reaction to such eye trauma? given that these symptoms don't get any worse, I can wait a week or so until I see an ophthalmologist?

Customer:

I am out of the country and hard pressed to find one until then

Dr. Rick :

Well, just watch for the signs of a detaching retina and, should you even think that you are experiencing them get to an eye surgeon right away.....even if it is in a foreign country.

Dr. Rick :

It is not a "normal" response to the type of trauma you had, but it is not uncommon either. A week should be ok to wait but, as I said above, watch closely for a curtain coming across your vision from any direction, a sudden increase in the number of floaters (from blood inside your eye) or a prolonged lightning storm of flashes.

Customer:

can this be worsened/should I limit daily activities such as reading, watching tv/computer screen, wearing contacts, or any other common stuff involving the eyes?

Customer:

sunlight, etc

Dr. Rick :

No, you will be find doing all those activities. If you are a professional boxer or Olympic weight lifter I'd hold off on those activities for now :)

Dr. Rick :

and don't shake your head from side to side just to see the flashes..........

Customer:

working out/cardiovascular exercise?

Dr. Rick :

no heavy weight lifting, but running/jogging that kinda stuff would be ok

Customer:

ok, thank you very much then

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Enjoy your travels and try not to worry.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.