Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

My husband was sitting in his chair and all of a sudden both

Customer Question

My husband was sitting in his chair and all of a sudden both eyes became blurry. It was as if he did not have his glasses on. It came and went for a couple of minutes. His mother had diabetis and his father macular degeneration.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

How long did the blurriness last? Did he close one eye at a time and see if both, or if only one, eye was affected?

Dr. Rick :

Has his vision returned to normal now?

Dr. Rick :

Also, other then the blurry vision, did he have, or is he having now, any other symptoms or problems

Customer:

It affected both eyes at once. It last o ff and one for about a minute or so. It has stabilized now. No other symptoms.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are typing and that could mean a couple of things: 1. you are actually typing or, 2, the chat system has frozen up. I'll give it a few more minutes and if I've not seen anything from you I'll switch over to the Q&A system. That system works a lot like 'text messaging' but, unlike the chat system, it almost never freezes up. We can continue to work on your question there. :o)

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Sorry about the technical issues with the chat system this evening. We can work on your question here. Did you see my questions regarding more information?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Oops! You accepted too early....most likely due to problems with the chat system. I am still here...let's get to work on your question, shall we?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No. What information do you need.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry about that. Let me copy and re-post it here for you:

Dr. Rick : Has his vision returned to normal now?
Dr. Rick : Also, other then the blurry vision, did he have, or is he having now, any other symptoms or problems

Was it like a shimmering in his vision?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There was no shimmering in his vision. Just the blurriness.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Ok. Thanks for that information.

The most likely cause of his symptoms is an ocular migraine.

A typical migraine headache starts with shimmering lights, often times they surround a blurry area or have dots or jaggedly lines associated with them. They tend to progressively increase in intensity and sometimes march across the visual field causing difficulty with reading. Many times this is then accompanied by nausea, irritability, sensitivity to bright lights and/or loud noises. After the onset of the lights (called scintillating scotomas), the headache typically starts and the light show tends to progressively go away.
Many people can have this migraine phenomenon without the headache; it is called an acephalgic migraine. Some people even start having these late in life, or may have had a few much earlier in life that behaved differently and haven't had any for decades and then begin to have them; this is not uncommon. A family history of migraines is often present as well.
This is nothing to worry about. It is not a sign of a more serious underlying condition, brain tumor or anything like that. If the episodes become so frequent that they are bothersome there are medicines that can be used to decrease their frequency or stop an episode once it has started.

I, personally, have been suffering with this condition for over 3 decades and understand what your husband went through. It is of note, as I mentioned above, it is common to NOT get a headache after the visual problems,although it does occur.

Does this make sense to you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am Rick's wife and I have those and it does not seem to me that he has the same symptoms. Mine include as what you desribed above. Like a Kaleidscope moving across your field of vision.

He said it was as if someone just pulled something across his field of vision for a few seconds; like he had taken his glasses off. The TV screen was very blurry. It came and went twice. He has now developed a slight headache. He has been watched for Glaucoma over the years and has had metal in his eye a few times. It scared him so much that the tears were running down his face. We are going ot make an appt with the opthamologist as he is due for one.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Sounds like a plan. However, it would be very, very unlikely that both of his eyes would have a temporary decrease in vision and then, a few minutes later, have a mild headache as a sign of something serious going wrong.

It is the old "if it quacks like a duck, flies like a duck and looks like a duck, it's a duck" theory of medicine. :)

Not everyone will experience ocular migraines the same way you or I do....

I do not believe it is related to his being a glaucoma suspect nor to his history of metallic corneal foreign bodies. Truthfully I do not believe he has anything to worry about at this time.

If you have a chance, could you drop me a note, either on this thread or at the link below, and let me know what your husband's ophthalmologist finds after his complete exam? You can do this at no additional charge.

Thanks.