Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

right eye has got blood from thecentet covering the white

Customer Question

right eye has got blood from thecentet covering the white i can still see but fuzzy have a headache and the right nostril is running alot can you advise many thanks
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you have experienced a subconjunctival hemorrhage.

Dr. Rick :

In the vast majority of cases, sub conjunctival hemorrhage is nothing to worry about. It is usually not a sign of any serious condition but rather is just a small broken blood vessel in the conjunctiva that looks much worse than it really is.

No treatment is necessary. Think of a subconjunctival hemorrhage as a bruise. The reason it looks so red (some people say it looks like a piece of raw meat) is that the skin on your eye is very thin so the underlying blood shows through easily. On your arm, for instance, a bruise looks blue/purple because the overlying skin is thick, blocking the red color of the blood.

Like a bruise elsewhere a subconjunctival hemorrhage will slowly go away over the course of a couple of weeks. It may spread around the globe some and change colors as it clears. This is nothing to be concerned about.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. We can use the Q&A system to 'text message' each other. An email will be sent to each of us every time something is posted to this thread.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
This is most likely not related to your headache or runny nose.

Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank you pls advise what can be the cause ie b/p or similar many thanks regards steve smith
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
Many times no cause can be found. If you are taking blood thinners, OTC pain relievers such as motrin or aspirin, and some homeopathic substances such as ginkgo or ginseng this can lead to an increased risk of subconjunctival hemorrhage.

Sometimes it can be from rubbing your eyes when you sleep, extended bouts of coughing or sneezing but, like I mentioned, usually no cause is found and no extensive workup is indicated.

However, if you are concerned, a complete examination by a hematologist would be able to rule out any serious issues that may be involved in your case.