Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

primary open angle glaucoma more prevalent in people

Why is primary open angle glaucoma more prevalent in people of African descent?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
That is a very good question. Not only has primary open angel glaucoma (POAG) been found to be more common in people of African decent but it usually is more resistant to treatment and causes many more cases of blindness in those affected.

Is this information for a homework question or personal interest?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
In a very large, well designed clinical study, called the OHTS POAG was found to be 4 to 5x more common in black patients then their white counterparts. It was more likely to be diagnosed at an earlier age and be more advanced in blacks then whites and, therefor, cause more visual loss.

When the study was reviewed using statistical analysis no correlation could be found with common glaucoma/risk factors, such as central corneal thickness, optic nerve anatomy (cup to disk ratio), angle anatomy or larger baseline vertical cup to disk ratios.

What does this all mean? Well, it means that clinical experience teaches us that POAG is more prevalent and more severe when present in blacks then white folks but, even with the very best of research we really don't know why.

Does this make sense to you?

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.