Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My granddad had trachoma, but we didnt live very close. Since

My granddad had trachoma, but we didn't live very close. Since I got pregnant I happen to know that that bacterial can hurt baby, so I did screen check that I don't have Chlamydia. But still got so worried(I am paranoid and panic person, especially for medical issues),so I went to check my eyes to eye specialist, she used slit lamp check it up, she told me apart I have 2 stones in my lower lid(one for each), nothing wrong, she doesn't think I have trachoma. But then I checked the reason for eye stone, only appear in old people or who has trachoma, this again, scare hell out of me. Just want to know do I need more lab test for this ?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer:

hi Dr.Rick

Dr. Rick :

I can understand your concern. The good news is that there are many causes of "eye stones".

Dr. Rick :

The most common, and the one you are probably suffering from, is called blepharitis. Could it be trachoma? Sure. But, let me ask you this. If you were near a horse stables, standing there with your eyes closed, and heard hoofbeats would you think it was caused by horses or zebras? That's right! You would think it was caused by the most common thing around -- horses.

Dr. Rick :

In the case of your eye stones think common causes. Don't get worried that you are about to be run over by a herd of zebra's :o)

Customer:

my grandfa was dead 10 years ago, and we didn't live very close, but I just worried my mum might live close to him...so I dragged mum with me and did the test, the eye specialist said she has no problem either, she has one stone of her upper lid of her right eye. (my mum is 62 years), this just made me worry that we both has stones, I am thinking maybe the specialist had wrong diagnosis

Dr. Rick :

You, and your baby will be just fine. There is no need to do anything for these conjunctival concretions....there are of no consequence.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

ok,so you don't think that is something I should worry about

Dr. Rick :

Also, even if you Granddad had trachoma in the past you are not going to catch it from him.

Customer:

just leave it?

Dr. Rick :

Nope. I think you should not give this a second thought. Just leave it alone and think about what color the baby's room should be painted.

Customer:

I google it, that one person has trachoma, most likely the whole family would get it.

Dr. Rick :

You should stop using google and trust the nice ophthalmologists on JustAnswer ;o)

Customer:

ok, I maybe too panic about this. these days google's result always surprise me and freak me out:s

Dr. Rick :

who has been practicing retina sub-specialty for almost two decades and treated a lot of trachoma patients in his career.....

Dr. Rick :

See. Turn off Google until your healthy, wonderful baby is born.....

Customer:

ok, Dr.Rick, one question about the trachoma

Dr. Rick :

shoot.

Customer:

what method can detect it, lab test or test by specialist will be fine?

Customer:

what if the patient doesn't has typical symptom how the specialist can detect it?

Customer:

Are you there Dr. Rick?

Dr. Rick :

It is diagnosed by examination by a trained person. In 3rd world countries, where this problem is most common (I don't think the UK is a third world country, eh?) lay people are trained to diagnose and treat this condition. It can be detected even without symptoms and I bet your eye doctor didn't miss it, especially since lay people can diagnose it...

Dr. Rick :

Had to get more coffee as my blood coffee levels were getting low.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you? Do you feel better?

Customer:

yes, I do feel better and thank you for that. The last one is about Chlamydia, if somebody has the problem with the eyes, will that transfer to genital part?

Dr. Rick :

That is a good question and, to tell you the truth, I'm not really sure. Just thinking about it I think it would be easier for it to transfer from the genitals to the eyes but I guess it is theoretically possible for it to go the other way. I'd put that question to your OB/GYN or midwife next time you see her for a checkup.

Customer:

I checked that Chlamydia ABC used to cause eye problem and D/E cause the genital problem. Can I understand as these two problems are individually and can not cross infect each other.

Dr. Rick :

There you go. I guess I should split my accept payment with you ;)

Dr. Rick :

Do you know if your baby is a boy or a girl yet?

Customer:

that's fine, you can keep it:D the only thing is I don't know how those bacterial works really, so I don't know how technically it works, so it's quite annoying me:s

Dr. Rick :

I have 3 girls and 2 boys.......lots of fun, but a lot of work -- especially when they were evil teenagers....

Customer:

oh, 80% is a girl:)

Customer:

I know, this is my first kid, so will see how it goes

Dr. Rick :

Congrats. Girls, while they are more expensive then boys, are easier to raise then boys in my experience ;)

Dr. Rick :

Congrats! Now uninstall Google from your computer.......

Dr. Rick :

lol!

Customer:

ok,LOL, thanks for your help , and hope I am just fine:D

Dr. Rick :

I believe you will are just fine. When is your due date?

Customer:

Apr next year.

Dr. Rick :

Well then, you are already past the important first trimester.

Customer:

yes, I am about 22weeks now. So far so good, except of my hips:P

Dr. Rick :

I've got to get going as today is my surgical day and there is a bunch of retinal detachments awaiting me. The good thing, however, is that they've yet to start without me when I'm late :)

Dr. Rick :

Have a good day, do not ready scary things anymore and get ready for lot of fun and very little sleep......

Customer:

ok, I guess I should let you go and thanks for your help

Customer:

have a good day!

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Take care and congrats!

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.