Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have had significant eye strain all my life with perfect

I have had significant eye strain all my life with perfect vision.
Since grade school, I could not read dense material for more than an hour or more than
20 pages a day without my eye muscles tightening to the point where I had to stop.
When I was 20 years old I forced myself to read a novel while I was under other general
stress in my life and it permanantly magnified the problem.
That magnified eye strain also caused constant dizziness for a year and I could not read anything. After I got off an elevator, my body felt like it was still bouncing for a half hour.
I have not felt any other eye discomfort. Seems confined to the muscles and nerves
around the eyes. Both eyes affected the same and also when using one at a time.
I am 55 now and my eyes are much better but still bad.
Does this sound familiar? Talked to an Ophthalmologist, an Optometrist, and a
Neurologist and none had an answere.

Thanks,

Brian

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I am sorry to hear about your many years of suffering with your eyes. One thing I can say, however, is that using your eyes for such activities as extended periods of reading can not damage them. It is much like a computer where using software, while it make the system act up, will not actually physically damage the hardware.

Dr. Rick :

I also don't believe that the dizziness that you experienced after getting off the elevator, from what you have said, is due to your eye issues either. I believe that this could most likely be attributed to an inner ear issue.

Dr. Rick :

One thing that can cause the eye strain issues that you are having is using an incorrect eye glasses Rx. You didn't say whether or not you wear glasses but, even if you don't I think it would be useful for you to undergo an "extensive" refreaction. What is this? Well, this is where you have a test for glasses without the use of drops (dry refraction). Then the test is repeated after drops are placed in your eye (wet refraction). The results of these two tests are compared and, if necessary, a few days later you come back for another dry refraction which tries to get as close to the wet result as you can tolerate.

Dr. Rick :

This is a drawn out process that is not routinely done but, in your case, it just might find the cause of decades worth of discomfort and suffering on your part.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. We can use the Q&A system to 'text message' each other. An email will be sent to each of us every time something is posted to this thread.

Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.