Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I have a blister like object on my lower eye just above the

Customer Question

I have a blister like object on my lower eye just above the botXXXXX XXXXXd, it was first noticed about fifteen hours ago and in that time has increased in size??
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Is it possible for you to take a picture of the lesion and put that picture on your computer desktop? If so, once it is on the desktop you can use the "paperclip" on your screen to attach it (use the browse function next to the "image URL" box) and I'll be able to review it for you.

Dr. Rick :

In ophthalmology a picture, truly , is worth a thousand words :o)

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are typing and that could mean a couple of things: 1. you are actually typing or, 2, the chat system has frozen up. I'll give it a few more minutes and if I've not seen anything from you I'll switch over to the Q&A system. That system works a lot like 'text messaging' but, unlike the chat system, it almost never freezes up. We can continue to work on your question there. :o)

Dr. Rick :

If you can read this, please stop typing now and hit reply so I know you are there......

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
Our chat system seems to be experiencing technical difficulties. I am here. We can use this system to answer your question.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
My system shows that you are online and have reviewed my posts. If you can upload a picture please do so. Here is another way to do it if the paperclip is not working on your screen:

Save your picture on your computer, someplace easy to find it such as your desktop.
Go to
Upload your picture to the site by browsing for it as directed.
Once you do that it gives you a bunch of links you can use, one of which says "direct link for layouts" It is important to use this box. It is the forth one down from the top of the page.
Copy the link from inside this box and then paste it into your justanswer dialog box and send it to your expert.

If you can't take a picture, don't worry about it....we can work things out by chatting back and forth....
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
Oops! Somehow you accepted too early, even with the accept button supposed to be disabled.....

I am still here and now I owe you a fantastic, detailed answer :)

Let's get to work, shall we?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
Are you there?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
Ok. Got the picture. It is very out of focus but at least we know you can upload a picture to me this way.

It looks like the lesion is actually on the white part of your eyeball (conjunctiva) and not the lid.

Can you have someone help you and try to take a more in focus picture? Even if you have to be farther away from your eye I can magnify things on my end..

Glad we finally got to communicate :) Sorry about all the technical problems we were having
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
That is much better!

That is a pinguecula. It is very irritated and inflamed. It is not a cancer, a terrible infection or anything that will damage your vision.

This is a change in the skin around the eye (conjunctiva) from a lifetime's worth of exposure to sunlight. It is not a cancer. It also can become irritated and red at times.
Here is a link to a picture of a small pinguecula. You can find many other pictures by going to Google images:

This is link to a picture of a pterygium. As you can see one of the major differences between a pterygium and a pinguecula is that a pterygium grows across the clear part of your eye (cornea):

If you are bothered by your pinguecula it can be surgically removed fairly easily by your ophthalmologist using local anesthesia. One word of caution however.....they have the nasty habit of growing back, sometimes with a vengeance.

It does not require any antibiotics or a trip to the eye doctor. What can you do at home? Cold compress and the frequent use of artificial tears will make most of the redness go away. It will, however, always be a little bit redder then the surrounding areas of your eye due to the increased number of blood vessels in the pinguecula.

Does this make sense to you?