Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Ive had conjunctivitis for a week now and it still hasnt eased.

Ive had conjunctivitis for a week now and it still hasnt eased. I have now used the whole bottle of eye drops "chlorsig" and im still getting the puss & gritt and my eyes are still sticking together once i wake from sleep. My daughter had it only for a few days.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

It is very possible that you have caught viral conjunctivitis from your daughter.

Dr. Rick :

As this is a virus the chlorsig is not helping anything at all and, as a matter of fact, it may be causing more irritation. Chlorsig has no affect on a virus at all.

Dr. Rick :

I recommend that you stop using the chlorsig and start using artificial tears. You can use them as much as you like to soothe your eyes. Cold compress will also help your eyes feel better as your viral infection runs its course over the next week or so.

Dr. Rick :

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash out the grit and gunk in your eyes. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.