Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I recently had catarac surgery and had a restor lens implanted.

I recently had catarac surgery and had a restor lens implanted. I now have what i refer to is "fly specks" that are definately on the lens part of my eye. Is this normal and will they go away?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Do these specks seem to float or move around in your vision?

Dr. Rick :

Also, how long ago was your surgery in the affected eye?

Dr. Rick :

Good Morning and welcome to the chat system

Customer:

The surgery was 3 wks ago. The specks are definately on the outer part and move with my eye. i also have a floater but has been there for some time and I can tell the specks are on the outer portion of my eye.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Let me just make sure that we are on the same page: You have a history of floaters in this eye and you still see them. You now have different specks that move with your eye. Now, when you say that they move with your eye, do you mean that when you move your eyeball the specks follow, much like a rife sight would follow when you change aiming point -- never changing position in your field of vision -- but moving completely in sink with your eyeball movements?

Dr. Rick :

Also, what do you mean that they are on the outer portion of your eye? Does this mean that you can see them in the mirror?

Customer:

Yes I have had a floater for several months. The specks are tiny and numerous. I can tell they are on the outer portion of the eye. The specks appeared right after I had the bandage removed the day after surgery.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. thanks for that information. I still, however, do not understand what you mean by "they are on the outer portion of the eye". What, exactly, do you mean by this? If you look in the mirror can you see them on the outside of your eye? If not, what do you mean by this statement?

Customer:

I can tell that the floater is deeper in my eye. The specks are definately separated from the 1 floater. the specks are like looking through a winshield with dusty rain spatters only tiny, or like pepper has been sprinkled on my eye.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Now I understand what you are saying. As a retina specialist with almost two decades of experience, and from what you have told me, believe that what you are experiencing and seeing are, indeed, floaters from your prior posterior vitreous detachment. While you have noted that these are different from, and in addition to, your prior single, large floater, it not uncommon for there to be more then one floater present.

Dr. Rick :

I believe what has happened in your case, and I have seen this a number of times, is that once your cataract was removed and a clear lens placed in your eye, your vision and contrast sensitivity improved enough that you can now see these other, albeit smaller floaters.

Dr. Rick :

Could this be caused by something else, such as severe inflammation inside your eye after the surgery, or if you had been given a retrobulbar injection to numb your eye for surgery, the needle going through your actual eyeball? Sure. But these things would have been obvious to your surgeon on post-op day number one and would also have other signs and symptoms.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

In other words, live with it.

Dr. Rick :

No. Not exactly....

Dr. Rick :

What can you do about the floaters? Well, floaters don't go away, and they don't really get worse. Over time they tend to "sink" out of your central vision and you brain "filters" them out so you don't notice them so much anymore. They almost never cause significant visual problems except, of course, if they cause a secondary retinal detachment as discussed above. The only way to decrease or remove the floaters is with a major surgery called a vitrectomy. As a retinal specialist for almost 2 decades I've only done this procedure to remove floaters in a handful of cases.

Dr. Rick :

But the good news? I think you will be OK and, hopefully soon, you won't even notice these floaters anymore.

Dr. Rick :

I do not believe anything went wrong with your cataract surgery.

Customer:

I'm hope you are right.

Dr. Rick :

Me too :) But, based on what you are telling me, I bet that I am

Dr. Rick :

You don't sound convinced.....

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest