Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My optometrist detected stains when she took pictures of my

My optometrist detected stains when she took pictures of my eye. I now now need to see an opththomologist.
What could it mean as my optometrist refused to discuss it with me.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Where did she see these stains? Perhaps she did not want to discuss what she "found" because she doesn't know what it is......

Dr. Rick :

Is she sending you to a regular ophthalmologist or a sub-specialist?

Customer:

She is sending mre to a regular opthamologist.They were found near the optic nerve.

Dr. Rick :

In the past optometrists didn't have the skills to do a good examination of the retina so they never found lesions in the back of the eye. Now the price of cameras that can see in the periphery have come down in price so optometrists are "finding" things that they are not trained to deal with. The vast majority of pigmented issues found in the retina, especially found near the optic nerve, in patients with no clinical symptoms, are nothing to be worried about.

Dr. Rick :

The good news? The ophthalmologist will be able to tell you what is going on in the back of your eye and will discuss it at length with you. In the future I suggest that you see an ophthalmologist for all your eye care.

Customer:

Thank you

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a good day and don't worry :)

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.