Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I woke up this morning with one eye that is bloodshot. Its

I woke up this morning with one eye that is bloodshot. It's not completely red, just bloodshot around the sides. My vision through that eye is a bit blurry, but not much. It's also watery, but there's no discharge. I have had bad allergies over the last few weeks and have been working on my computer a lot more than 7 hours a day. I am just wondering if this is pink eye.

Information: Male
Age: 28

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Good Morning

Dr. Rick :

Pink eye is a definite possibility.....it is that time of year. It could also be allergies, although this would usually involve both eyes.

Dr. Rick :

If you do have pink eye you should use artificial tears to sooth your eyes. As this is a virus no antibiotics are necessary as they only treat bacteria, not viruses. You should use cold compresses and natural tears as often as you want to soothe your eyes. This infection usually runs its course in a week or so.

It is also very contagious so make sure to wash your hands well, don't share towels etc. It is likely that other members of your household will catch this.....But not to worry, in the vast majority of cases the infection resolves without any residual effects.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

I do not believe that this is related to your extended work hours on your computer.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.