Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My problem is some kind of photophobia.Stop lights are 10 times

My problem is some kind of photophobia.Stop lights are 10 times brighter than they should be and colors onTV and my Computer are a lot brighter then they should be. I see floaters.I also have eye pain in my left eye changes in amount. My eyes discharge when watching TV.This has been going on for a few months.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

what did your optometrist have to say about your symptoms?

Dr. Rick :

Also do you notice this increased brightness when you are doing other daily activities such as reading, walking around your house, looking at friends and family etc?

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Customer:

Well the optometrist did all kinds of tests and they said I have beginning Macular Degeneration. But he could find no answer for the color changes.

Dr. Rick :

It is possible that macular degeneration could be causing some of your symptoms.....it could even cause issues with brightness, although this would be more likely with cataracts or an anterior segment/tear film issue.

Dr. Rick :

I do not, however, believe that an optometrist can diagnose "beginning" macular degeneration, even if it reached up and bit him.....I think you would be better served to have a complete eye exam by an ophthalmologist as your symptoms can be caused by a number of issues, or issues in combination and this would be the best way to sort things out.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

Let me add more. I was referred to a neur opatholgist and they did some test including MRI with nothing found. They have scheduled for a FREG but don't think that will show anything. I can't get the doctors to give me a best guess as to what part of the eyes could be having the problem, optic nerves etc. Also I having sinus problems is that a posible cause.

Customer:

P.S. I miss spoke I did see and opthamologist at first.

Dr. Rick :

No. I don't think that sinus issues are a factor here. It sounds like you are getting state of the art care for your symptoms. It is possible, since I'm sure that the ophthalmologists have ruled out any obvious ocular pathology, that your problem might be due to some intracranial processes, metabolic imbalance, unusual toxicology, rare and very unusual retinal condition or something that the physicians involved in you care may never be able to find the cause of. A focal ERG will be able to pinpoint any retinal issues if they are present......

Dr. Rick :

This being said, even if a cause can be found for your symptoms there will, most likely, not be anything that can be done to improve things....other then giving a name to your issue :(

Customer:

The condition seams to get worse every morning and does not come and go. Have you ever heard of anyone with the color problem.

Dr. Rick :

Yes, there are tons of eye problems, systemic issues, infections, inflammation etc etc that can cause color problems. I would expect, however, that all the "easy" ones have been thought of by your ophthalmologist and ruled out at this point.

Customer:

One last thing is there a good way to determine an eye infection. I know I don't have obvious signs of redness, just glassy.

Dr. Rick :

The most important tool for determining if there is an active eye infection is a good history and clinical exam by an ophthalmologist. After that cultures can be taken and smears evaluated under the microscope using special stains and techniques. From what you have told me I don't believe that the discharge you are experiencing when watching TV is from an active infection. That sounds more like a tear film/blepharitis issue to me.

Customer:

Ok then I think I'm good to go. Thanks.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. I wish you the best of luck in figuring out what is going on. Take care and have a wonderful holiday season.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.