Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

i submitted the question

Customer Question

i submitted the question
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

I am still online using the thread you already paid for.......can you open that conversation up on your screen and we can continue there?

Dr. Rick :

Are you there?

Customer :

yes i never saw any responce other then asking what type of Md she was

Dr. Rick :

Hi. Can you open on your screen the conversation we were using when you pressed the accept button too soon? Ok. Let's go back to the other thread. I'll meet you there.

Customer :

i am not sure i know where u want me to go should i press accept

Dr. Rick :

There is no need to press accept as you have already paid. Let's just continue here.

Customer :

ok am i in the right place

Dr. Rick :

Yes. We can just take care of things here. I've disabled the accept button here and we can work on your issue at no charge since you already paid on the other thread, if that is ok with you.

Customer :

yes

Dr. Rick :

Using the best possible refraction to what point was the optometrist able to improve your vision in the affected eye during your recent exam (ie: 20/20, 20/40, 20/100 etc) if you know.

Customer :

20 30

Dr. Rick :

OK. also, do you have diabetes or any other medical problems?

Customer :

none what so ever

Dr. Rick :

Does the vision issues seem to affect your central (reading, TV, driving) vision more then your side vision?

Dr. Rick :

OK that is good.

Customer :

no reading issues or side vision

Dr. Rick :

ok. Well, I am a retina specialist and, from what you are telling me, it doesn't 'seem like you need to rush and see an retina doc right now just because your optometrist can't figure out what is going on.

Customer :

but with my current glasses i dont see that well out of the right eye

Dr. Rick :

That being said your deceased vision needs to be given a better workup then what the optometrist, with her very limited training, is able to provide......

Customer :

she did not want to change myRX

Customer :

until she found out my the drop off in vision

Customer :

i use to be 20 20 3 weeks ago

Dr. Rick :

There are a large number of issues that can be causing your decreased vision. With this in mind I think you should have a complete eye exam my an ophthalmologist (eye MD). If necessary she will then send you on to a retina specialist.

Customer :

thats what she is doing sending me to a retina spec

Dr. Rick :

The majority of things that could be causing your rapid decrease in vision can be handled by a regular ophthalmologist. Of course, there is nothing wrong with seeing a retina specialist -- we all love the business -- it just doesn't seem like you need one just yet.

Customer :

ok i guess she felt thats what she had to do but i was concerned

Dr. Rick :

Optometrists like to think that they are the equivalent of an ophthalmologist....if they can't figure it out then no "regular" ophthalmologist can either. This is completely false but it is the way many of them think....so they ship their patients off to super-subspecialists.

Dr. Rick :

Some optometrists see them selves as "eye care specialists" all without the bother of having to go to medical school or do 4 years of ophthalmology training.

Customer :

do you think this could wait a week i was going away on monday an she wants me to see him on fri night at 8 Pm which was the only time he could get me in and of course they said it was a 3 hr test

Customer :

sorry 2 hr

Dr. Rick :

It is most likely three hours as you are being squeezed in and may have to wait 2.5 hour to be seen.

Customer :

i guess there is alot of eye drops

Dr. Rick :

Can you contact a regular ophthalmologist and try to get in early next week?

Customer :

its at 8 at night

Dr. Rick :

Must be after surgery......

Customer :

no i am going on vacation

Dr. Rick :

or that retina doc works a lot harder then I do :)

Dr. Rick :

how long will you be gone?

Customer :

coming back sat 17 th

Dr. Rick :

I wouldn't want you to wait that long since your vision has dropped to 20/30 in just 3 weeks.

Customer :

ok

Dr. Rick :

Guess, since you already have the retina doc scheduled and it works well with your vacation plans, I'd just keep that appointment.

Customer :

i will

Customer :

ok thanks for the input

Dr. Rick :

If you don't mind, could you drop me a note on either the thread of our first conversation or here and let me know what the retina doc finds?

Customer :

sure i will

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Best of luck to you. Sorry about the technical difficulties you had

Customer :

ok

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Have a great vacation. Take care.