Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I have had cataract surgery 5 years ago with contact implants.

I have had cataract surgery 5 years ago with contact implants. The left eye contact "sort of wrinkled" according to my opthamologist so I now have to wear a soft contact to adjust my far vision to normal. I know I have not followed his directions, I wear my contact for at least a month but spraying my right eye with saline several times during the night, and for 5 years it has been fine.
Three days ago my eye has begun to be a bloody color. Each day it has gotten worse, now very little white left. Also 1 month ago I began taking blood thinner for A Fib. Maybe that is making it worse. Retired from an ENT and Opthamologist 20 years ago, little knowledge is worse than none. A little worried, my GP, who is in New York, is calling in drops for conjunctivitis, however there is no discharge. Should I give the drops a few days to see if they help, or should I be concerned. Live in a small town, nearest opth. over 1 hour away. No pain or change in vision, contact out x 3 days.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Hi Doc.

Dr. Rick :

Are you saying that you a phakic IOL placed in front of your native lens to treat a high refractive error and that the implant is distorted?

Dr. Rick :

our chat system is acting up. Let's switch to Q&A. See you there.....

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
I'm here.....let's get to work, shall we?
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, it has been distorted for about 5 years. My worry today is the bloody eye that even looks as though the blood is pooling at my lower lid
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
I don't do heart attacks and GPs shouldn't do eyes....especially over the phone :)

I agree with you. You do not have a bacterial conjunctivitis. You, given your history of blood thinner use for Afib, have a subconjunctival hemorrhage.

In the vast majority of cases, sub conjunctival hemorrhage is nothing to worry about. It is usually not a sign of any serious condition but rather is just a small broken blood vessel in the conjunctiva that looks much worse than it really is.

No treatment is necessary. Think of a subconjunctival hemorrhage as a bruise. The reason it looks so red (some people say it looks like a piece of raw meat) is that the skin on your eye is very thin so the underlying blood shows through easily. On your arm, for instance, a bruise looks blue/purple because the overlying skin is thick, blocking the red color of the blood.

Like a bruise elsewhere a subconjunctival hemorrhage will slowly go away over the course of a couple of weeks. It may spread around the globe some and change colors as it clears. This is nothing to be concerned about.

There is no need for you to be examined by your ophthalmologist at this time.

Does this make sense to you?

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.

I am still here and available if you would like to discuss this issue more.

As far as the phakic IOL is concerned it might be able to be explanted and a new one placed....Hopefully it is not rubbing/hurting any intraocular structures by being wrinkled....
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD