Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince

I have been waking up every morning with a jelly like substance

I have been waking up every morning with a jelly like substance covering my vision (eyes) for the last two weeks. I actually cannot see properly until i have cleared it out of my eyes. My eye area is very puffy and stays like that for the majority of the day. It is not a cold and I have not used any different makeup. I have been to the chemist to ask them and was given some eye ointment, although they ruled out conjunctavitus. This ointment hasnt helped. Please could you give me some other suggestions as to what it may be?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 2 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

It is likely that you could be experiencing symptoms of either meibomitis or allergy. Meibomitis is a condition in which the meibomian glands( modified sebaceous glands present in the lids) get inflammed. Normally there is an oily secretion from the meibomian glands. Sometimes the pores of these glands get blocked leading to pent up secretions or viscid secretions.It could be the reason for the early morning haziness in the eyes and puffiness of the lids. The treatment is in the form of warm compresses, twice a day( helps to reduce the puffiness and makes the secretions more fluid and less viscid). In addition you can give a gentle lid scrub with 50:50 diluted baby shampoo( apply gently with the help of a Q-tip to the outer margin of the lidmargin just near the openings of the meibomian glands). This method of treatment is quite effective when performed for 3-4 weeks.Chronic meibomitis can contribute to dry eyes. Lubricating eye drops such as Refresh tears eye drops, 1 drop 4 times a day, used for 4 weeks can be very effective for symptomatic relief.

The other possibility is that of allergy( it is very difficult to identify the exact allergen as it could be in the dust/air) and the most common form is an allergic conjunctivitis. It is characterised by redness, itching, ropy discharge. Mild cases can be treated with anti-allergy eye drops such as over the counter Alaway eye drops, 1 drop twice a day for 2-3 weeks.

Thank you and best wishes.

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and/or positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince