Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

My left eye has bee watering for a bout 4 weeks now. About

My left eye has bee watering for a bout 4 weeks now. About three days ago when I would wipe away the excess tears i would also get some white "gunk". I caught a cold about one week ago and it is almost over, but in that time i went to the doctor and they told me all my symptoms were due to allergies and told me to take claratin D. I did this along with a warm compress and nothing has worked. I have another dr.s appt on Friday and I am just wondering what questions I could ask to get results. Also I have an eye appointment for the 20th but by then I will have been waiting almost 1.5 months.
So my question is what is wrong with my eye?

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Customer:

yes

Customer:

hello, so what do you think is the issue

Doctor DanB : I'm sorry. I just got your replies.
Doctor DanB : Do your eyes itch significantly?
Customer:

Its only my left eye, and no itching at all

Doctor DanB : If there's no itching then this isn't allergies. Do you have mattering or caking of your lashes in the am upon waking?
Customer:

yes that started about 1-2 days ago, my eye is not "glued" shut but there is a caking

Doctor DanB : Do you wear contacts?
Customer:

I do but I have not been wearing them(except two days a week) since the eye watering started

Doctor DanB : I suspect this is a inflammation in the cornea related to contact lens intolerance. I think you need to have a steroid drop and a complete break from the contact lenses for at least a week and a half to two weeks. You may need to get a second opinion. Does this make sense?
Customer:

but why would I suddenly get contact lens intolerance all of a sudden? and what is it?

Doctor DanB : How many hours/day do you wear them? How many nights/week do you sleep in them? What brand of lenses do you wear?
Customer:

Acuvue Oasis soft lenses, i usually wear them all day 4-5 days a week and i sleep with them probably 3-4 nights a week.

Doctor DanB : It's based on the sheer # XXXXX hours of wear but then combined with the overnight wear of them. The cornea has reached a ripping point in its deprivation of oxygen. The relative lack of oxygen causes the cornea to succumb to the inflammatory mediators produced by the bacteria in your tear film.
Doctor DanB : That should be "tipping", not "ripping". Sorry.
Customer:

So I stopped wearing my contacts now for just about two weeks. I put them in to workout then take them back out(tue/thur) so shouldn't my cornea have gotten better since I'm not wearing them...my eye watering seems to only be getting worse though...

Customer:

So what I'm getting is I should stop wearing my contacts all together for 1-2 weeks and my eye watering should go away?

Doctor DanB : Quite often this becomes a self propagating process to the point that no matter whether you take your contacts out for 1 to 2 weeks it may still continue unless treated with steroids. I suspect that you're going to need a steroid to treat this regardless of how long you have your contact lenses out.  Does that make sense?
Customer:

yea that makes sense...so the ofloxacin 0.3% that the dr. gave me is not a steroid?

Doctor DanB : No. It's an antibiotic.
Customer:

ok, then i guess that answers my questions...

Doctor DanB : Good luck. Please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.
Customer:

Thank you have a good night.