Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

I had catarac surgery on both eyes a little over a year ago.

I had catarac surgery on both eyes a little over a year ago. I had mono vision lens implanted at the time of surgery. I have 20/20 vision in both eyes but both eyes have halos around everything I look at bad enough that at a distance peoples faces are blury and reading is very difficult. My vision is somewhat better in the mornings. The Doctor that did my surgery says he doesn't know what is wrong with my eyes. Do you have any suggestions.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 2 years ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Doctor DanB : When you say monovision do you mean that one eye was set to see clearly at near and one eye to see clearly at distance? Or do you mean that you had the premium intraocular lenses implanted that allow both eyes to see well at near and distance?
Customer:

one eye sees at distance and one near

Doctor DanB : When was the last time you had a dilated eye exam from your eye doctor?
Customer:

In July the Doc. said my eyes look great

Doctor DanB : When did the symptoms start?
Customer:

A couple of months after the right eye surgery. I had the left done first.

Doctor DanB : These symptoms can sometimes be due to a cloudy membrane that is forming behind the lens implant. If you had a dilated eye exam from your doctor and he or she says that everything looks fine, then I suspect that this is not the case with you. If you are going without prescription glasses it is possible you have some level of astigmatism that is being uncorrected. If this is the case uncorrected astigmatism can lead to the symptoms you're having, even if it's a little bit. Many people can see 2020 with a little bit of uncorrected astigmatism.
Doctor DanB : Does this make sense?
Customer:

The same doctor did lazer to fix the cloudy membrane. I have prescription glasses but it doesn't clear up the bluriness. In the eye examine he used every priszim to try to make the blury vision clear but none of it helped.

Doctor DanB :

I see. Thanks for that additional information. The only other thing that I suspect this could be is due to a dysfunctional tear film which can lead to dryness. Now I know you have been taking eye drops to help with dryness, but this is only the very beginning, earliest way to treatment.

Doctor DanB :

If you don't seem to be getting anywhere with your current doctor, it may be time to get a second opinion from a corneal specialist because if this is the case there are a multitude of other things that may need to be treated regarding dysfunctional tear films for this to get better.

Doctor DanB :

Does that make sense?

Customer:

It does.

Doctor DanB :

Do you have any other concerns that I haven't addressed?

Doctor DanB :

Please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. There will be an opportunity to provide either or both of these after you press the ACCEPT button. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Customer:

Would the tear film effect both eyes at the same time?

Doctor DanB :

I'm sorry for the delay, the chat system is reliably unreliable. Yes, if there is a dysfunctional tear film, it is usually happening in both eyes at the same time.

Doctor DanB :

Do you have any other questions about this that I didn't address?

Customer:

Thanks for your help...I will find another doctor for a 2nd opinion

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology