Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

I get blood shot red yes once a month and I have been thru

I get blood shot red yes once a month and I have been thru 4 different doctors who do not find anything but reading on line I have found that it could be either corneal or herpes how is this diagnosed?

Welcome to Just Answer

It would be difficult to pin-point the exact diagnosis without a proper eye exam in your case but I can certainly help you know whether you really have a corneal problem or not. First of all in case of a corneal cause for redness, the redness itself is never bright red ( it is more of pink hue as the deep seated cilicary blood vessels are congested here). The redness is associated with severe pain the eye along with watering and photophobia(intolerence to bright light - any source). So I guess in your case the bright redness is very unlikely to be corneal . Also the examining ophthalmologists would never have missed out a corneal problem( I am to assume that atleast one of the 4 doctors who examined you would have been an ophthalmologist). The vision is also reduced if there is indeed a corneal problem.

As for the possibility of a herpes infection in the eye, again cornea is the main structure in the eye to be affected. Moreover it would not be expected to cause redness once in a month.Herpes infection in the eye causes very characteristic signs in the eye which cannot be missed out. A slit lamp examination of the eye is the basic exam which helps in identification of the above problems. If need be staining with dye can be done for further confirmation of the diagnosis. The best person to diagnose your problem, if still in doubt about it being a corneal problem, would be a cornea specialist.

Considering the recurrent nature of the redness, no findings on eye examination by 4 different eye doctors, it would help to give a trial of lubricating eye drops assuming it to be dry eyes.

Dry eyes can occur from involvement of any of the 3 layers of the tear film. The tear film has 3 layers- aqueous, lipid and mucin. The most frquent layer to be affected is the aqueous layer. It is seen due to increased evapouration of tears as can be seen with excessive hours in front of the laptop/computer/television or long hours of continous reading or writing. It can also be precipitated by excessive exposure to air conditioning or even very hot and humid climate. The treatment is in the form of tear supplements such as over the counter preservative free Refresh tears eye drops , 1 drop 4 times a day for about a month.

Thank you and best wishes.

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and/or positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist