Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

Once cataracts have been removed, can the lenses become dirty

Once cataracts have been removed, can the lenses become dirty or need cleaning? If so, how often. Thanks.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Doctor DanB : Up to 30% of patients who have their cataracts removed can develop a cloudy membrane behind the lens implant.  If this is the case it can be lasered away in a painless and quick procedure. This never comes back. Does this make sense?
Doctor DanB : Does this information help address your concerns? Does this make sense? Do you have any other concerns about this that we haven't addressed? It appears you are momentarily offline.  I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need; please just respond with any further needs and I will address them then.If not, Please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.
Customer:

What causes the build up. And how long after cataract removal does it occur?

Doctor DanB : The buildup happens because of microscopic cells in the capsule that held the original lens start to migrate and get bigger, covering the back surface of the lens. This could happen anywhere from a month after surgery to decades later, or never at all (happens to around 30% of people).
Customer:

Yes.... I think I have some. I can see well, but it is like a slight haze. It has been 2 years. I guess I should call and get in to see my opthamologist. Thank you for your help.

Doctor DanB : You're welcome. Please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!