Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I seem to see small black shapes floating in front of my eyes,can

I seem to see small black shapes floating in front of my eyes,can you tell me if this is to worry about?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

If you close one eye at a time do these black shapes seem to be in only one eye?

Customer:

I think it seems to be my right eye more so than the left,however it doesnt seem to be doing it right now

Dr. Rick :

Were these shapes like dots and lines or was it more like a shimmering in your side vision that lasted less then an hour and went away all of a sudden

Customer:

The shapes seemed to be inconsistent (not always the same) that seem to drift across in front of me and come and go sporadically

Dr. Rick :

Ok.

You are likely experiencing a PVD or posterior vitreous detachment, a common event that happens in many people.

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes called the vitreous. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself, forms little clumps that you can see as dots, lines or bugs. As these clumps form the vitreous pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you may see.

It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam is precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightning storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

Yes this makes sense

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Is there anything else you would like to discuss?

Customer:

No that is all thankyou

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a good evening

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
You only need to leave a tip if you desire :) I enjoyed helping you today and appreciate your accepting my answer.

How much is a consultation with an ophthalmologist in your area?

Have a wonderful holiday season. Take care.