Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

seeing bright lights around eyes

seeing bright lights around eyes

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Customer:

yes

Dr. Rick :

How long do these lights last?

Dr. Rick :

Are they like flashes of lightning or like shimmering multicolored waves?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. We can use the Q&A system to 'text message' each other. An email will be sent to each of us every time something is posted to this thread.

I'm looking forward to your response so that we can continue to work on your question.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi, The light was shimmering in shape of a half circle...The were small and continued to get larger until I had very limited vision. The symptoms have stopped...I continued to drink alot of water. Can you get toxemia while not pregnant? The episode lasted about an hour or slightly longer.
Oops! You accepted too fast. Now I owe you a great answer :)
What you experienced is called an ocular migraine.

A typical migraine headache starts with shimmering lights, often times they surround a blurry area or have dots or jaggedly lines associated with them. They tend to progressively increase in intensity and sometimes march across the visual field causing difficulty with reading. Many times this is then accompanied by nausea, irritability, sensitivity to bright lights and/or loud noises. After the onset of the lights (called scintillating scotomas), the headache typically starts and the light show tends to progressively go away.
Many people can have this migraine phenomenon without the headache; it is called an acephalgic migraine. Some people even start having these late in life, or may have had a few much earlier in life that behaved differently and haven't had any for decades and then begin to have them; this is not uncommon. A family history of migraines is often present as well.
This is nothing to worry about. It is not a sign of a more serious underlying condition, brain tumor or anything like that. If the episodes become so frequent that they are bothersome there are medicines that can be used to decrease their frequency or stop an episode once it has started.

Does this make sense to you?
this is not toxemia but it is interesting that you mention that. Your blood pressure must have got really, really high during your pregnancy....hope things turned out well.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, I have experienced migranes before and I have been under alot of stress this week.
Thankyou...it makes a lot of sense. Pregnancy was fine he's thirteen and very healthy and determined to be a doctor of some sort.
Sounds like an excellent plan. Take care.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thankyou. Have a great rest of the day.
.