Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

i had head trauma 3 years ago caused eye choriodal rupture

i had head trauma 3 years ago caused eye choriodal rupture which had left a scar behind the retina,3 months ago i got retina detachment ,surgery was performed and silicon oil was injected .2 weeks ago they removed the oil hence vision did not come back same before yet shapes looks funny and having oval appearance .the question is can this be treated and which us hospital you recommend
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Has a cataract formed from your initial trauma? Also, have you had a chance to speak to your retina specialist about your visual difficulties?

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Customer:

hi

Customer:

no there was no cataract 3 years ago,i was performing examination every year ,2009 i had a bleeding and was given vacine

Dr. Rick :

Hi.

Dr. Rick :

I do not believe that a vaccination would have contributed to your retinal issues.

Customer:

no its no avaccination..its teatment for the eye spelling may not right

Dr. Rick :

Your eye has had a lot of surgery and what appears to have been a difficult retinal detachment to successfully treat. I would bet that the visual problems you are currently experiencing is related to damage to an area of your retina called the macula.

Dr. Rick :

Ohhh.....ok. You might be talking about an injection into your eyeball for bleeding in your macula with a medicine called avastin or lucentis.

Customer:

yes you are right avastin

Customer:

can damage be repaired ?

Dr. Rick :

I understand. You are fortunate to have useful vision in that eye after all that it has been through. Given what you have told me I strongly believe that your problem is due to macular damage and, unless it is from more bleeding, swelling, macular wrinkling that can be addressed with more surgery etc, I do not think anything can be done to improve things at this point.

Dr. Rick :

You will, of course, have a cataract in the near future from the retina surgery. This cataract can be treated in the usual way without much difficulty.

Dr. Rick :

that being said, if you would like to ask for a second opinion from another retina specialist (besides me that is :) here are some names I came up for a specialist in your area:

Dr. Rick :

http://www.asrs.org/patients/find_a_retina_specialist/index.php

Customer:

what to do to protect the 2nd eye?

Dr. Rick :

Since your retina problems all seem to be related to your prior trauma and chorioidal rupture I do not think your other eye is at any increased risk of a detachment at this time. However, since you really only have one "good" eye I would suggest you wear polycarbinate (bullet proof) glasses at all time to protect your eyes...even if you do not need any prescription to see better.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

From what you have told me I do not think that traveling to the USA for a retina consultation would be of any greater value then being examined by a retina doc in Saudi Arabia.

Customer:

is there any regular check up and signs could be taking inconcideration when testing the good eye

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you have received excellent, state of the art, care from you current retina specialist. From what you have told meI don't think I would have done anything different if you were here in my office.

Customer:

thanks

Dr. Rick :

I think you should have a complete eye exam by an ophthalmologist at least once a year for your good eye at this point; more for the affected eye if your retina doc feels it is indicated. As I said I do not believe you are at any increased risk for a detachment in your good eye however, that being said, if you notice any changes in your vision or even if you are just worried, I'd have things checked out.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. I wish you the best of luck.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest