Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

im have pain behind my left eye for about a week having problem

im have pain behind my left eye for about a week having problem sleep i feel it all night just a little cough hurts beening over
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

Is there any redness or reduced vision in the left eye?

Is there a history of recurrent sinusitis?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no history of sinusitis, and there is some redness to the eye.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.

Sorry for the delay in answering back. Had our chat system been working well, we could have finished the discussion immediately. I had to wait for your reply before giving the final answer.

There are very few conditions of the eye that can actually cause pain behind the eye (retro-orbital pain) and are most often associated with other signs of orbital disease such as forward bulging of the eye. Even though there is no positive history of sinusitis in your case, it still looks like the likely cause as the eye is surrounded on all sides by 4 sinuses. Hence sinusitis is the commonest cause for pain behind or around the eye. In such a case you should feel better with tab.Acetaminophen 500 mg twice a day for 2-3 days, steam inhalation will also give relief from congestion.

Painful conditions of the eye often associated with redness , watering, photophobia and reduced vision. The pain is often felt within the eye rather than behind it , in these cases. Glaucoma can also be very painful( angle closure type) but the vision gets blurred due to a cloudy cornea.

I guess you can take the analgesics and do steam inhalation for a day or two and in case of worsening or persistence of symptoms, consult an ophthalmologist for a closer look and further treatment depending on the diagnosis.

Thank you and best wishes.

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and/or positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist