Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

vision of his own eyebrows and eyelashes since a few days..eyesight

My husband who is 62 years old is having the vision of his own eyebrows and eyelashes since a few days, what is the problem with his vision and eyesight? He is otherwise able to see well except this problem.

Welcome to Just Answer

Do you mean that he is seeing fine black lines or hair like floaters in front of his eyes? The vision in the eyes is alright but for this, right?

Has he experienced any flashes of light earlier?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
He is seeing his enitre eyelashes and brows and not only a single hair or so.

Thank you for the reply and additional information.

Does the symptom disappear on closing one eye?

Since his symptom is a bit different I may need to ask a few questions here. Please bear with it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It is most likely to be due to posterior vitreous detachment ( PVD ).In this condition the thick gel at the back of the eye( called vitreous) gets detached from its surrounding retina . This results in retinal traction which results in the symptom of flashes of light and includes color distortion.Flashes of light may not be prominent in some individuals. Once the vitreous gets detached completely , it may form clumps or strands and cause symptom of floaters such as dark spots, cobweb or thread like strands in the visual field. Probably the vision of his own eyebrows and eyelashes is due to the clumped vitreous.

More often it is not a serious issue and does not require any specific treatment. A routine retina examination needs to be done by an ophthalmologist just to check for the intactness of the retina and to look for any peripheral retinal tears or holes, which if found, can be sealed by lasers.

The only concern is that of a remote possibility of a retinal tear extending into a frank retinal detachment, which is characterised by symptoms of sudden increase of flashes or floaters and a curtain or veil falling in the field of vision. This requires urgent treatment by a retinal specialist.This is not a common feature and is more predisposed in myopic and diabetic individuals.He does not seem to be having any of these acute symptoms, so as of now a routine eye exam should suffice.

PVD can occur suddenly at anytime and is a diagnosis of exclusion and does not show any signs as such on eye examination. What he would need at this stage is a routine eye exam ( not an emergency) to look at the back of the eye. If PVD is confirmed then there is nothing much to be done. It would be best to ignore the floaters after that. Some floaters tend to drift out of visual field too.There can be other conditions also with similar floaters but would need a dilated eye exam for diagnosis.

Thank you and best wishes.

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and/or positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I want to cancel this transaction
Sorry to know that you found the answer incomplete.In that case I shall opt out .
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did not like your answer as it was incomplete , delayed and sketchy, and I want to withdraw from this transaction. I do not know why is this still on