Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

eye..issue with the local regulatory body in Canada, but the U.

I am an eye care professional, certified in both in Canada and in U.S. Currently, I have an issue with the local regulatory body in Canada, but the U.S. national regulatory body also wants to take action against me for the same issue, although I never practise in U.S. How could I best explain to the U.S. national regulatory body there are difference of laws and regulations between U.S. and Canada, and the matter happened in Canada may not be an issue in U.S. It is my understanding, certification given by a national body in U.S. is lasting a life time. Appreciative of your response
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

The most important thing that you can do in this situation is to hire a US based attorney that has experience dealing with the regulatory body that is looking to discipline you.

Dr. Rick :

I am not sure what type of eye care professional you are, however as an ophthalmologist I can tell you that certification, say for instance being a certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology is time limited, needing to be renewed every decade. Also, the Board can remove your certification for cause at any time. While Board Certification used to be life-long, I do not know of any that are done that way anymore.

Dr. Rick :

If you can give me more specific information I would be happy to try and get you some contact information for lawyers who might be able to assist you.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. We can use the Q&A system to 'text message' each other. An email will be sent to each of us every time something is posted to this thread.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have been certified by American Board of Ophthalmologist since 1991. Hence, I do not require to sit for the recertification exam. every ten years. I still have a valid medical license, practising in Canada. Appreciative if you will give me the names of attorney who are specializing in those matters
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
I'd be happy to help you. Are you being brought before a State Licensing board? If so, let me know which state as lawyers are usually State specific.

If not a State Board, what authority are you going before and what State is it in?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Th issues with the province licensing board ( College ) in Canada has been resolved. Now I have to deal with the American Board of Ophthalmology's oncoming meeting of taking discipline action against me although I have ben in good standing with ABO for all those years. Please help.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
While the ABO is located in Pennsylvania if you contact this lawyer in Texas he will be able to help you himself or hook you up with another lawyer who can. This lawyer has decades of experience in dealing with physicians who have problems with their medical license and/or Board Certification. Here is his contact information:

Jeff McDonald, Esq. XXXXX
Suite 200
Austin, Tx 78701 (NNN) NNN-NNNN

I wish you the best of luck at your hearing.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Please give me the e-mail address of Jeff McDonald, the lawyer you recommand, and shall be appreciative if you will give the name of other lawyer in Pennsylvania as the lawyer is needed to attend the discipline hearing.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
here is a link to his webpage with his email address:

http://www.healthlicensedefense.com/JeffMcDonald.html

I, personally, do not know the name of a lawyer in Pa, but I can guarantee that Mr. McDonald will either be able to assist you or hook up up with a top-notch lawyer who will.

If you have a chance, drop me a note and let me know how things turn out.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest