Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

I had cataract surgery on my right eye on Nov. 29th. My doctor

I had cataract surgery on my right eye on Nov. 29th. My doctor was Dr. Raymond Stein (Bochner Eye Institute). My left eye which has had retinal tears and a detachment and cataract surgery and a vatrectomy is irritated, strained, somewhat red and it hurts. The visual disparity between the 2 eyes is large. The right eye is now very good for distance but poor for reading. The left eye is blurry for distance but acceptable for reading. We went to Lenscrafters and had the right lens removed from my glasses but this caused too much strain and we had them put it back. I am not wearing my glasses at all. An ice pack helps on the left sid of my head.
Should I be putting the Tobradex drops in the left eye also?
Should I see an ophthamologist asap? Thank you.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Doctor DanB : Because you've had multiple surgeries on the left eye and are now having symptoms which may be consistent with an infection, I would recommend contacting your ophthalmologist as soon as possible. I would hold off putting anything in the eye that was not expressly prescribed by your doctor because it may make things much worse.
Doctor DanB : Does this information help address your concerns? Does this make sense? Do you have any other concerns about this that we haven't addressed? It appears you are momentarily offline.  I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need; please just respond with any further needs and I will address them then.If not, Please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

My husband, John, is resting right now and I don't want to wake him. I have left a message with the Bochner Eye Institute but they will not get back until tomorrow. I am worried about taking him to the ER on a Sunday night as the wait is so long and he will be exposed to so many germs. Can this wait until tomorrow?

Doctor DanB :

i think this is likely something that can wait until tomorrow, especially if he is not having significant pain, significant light-sensitivity, or significantly decreased vision in that left eye. Does that make sense? Do you have any other questions about this that I haven't addressed?

he has put a cold pack on the side of his head and that has brought some relief, however, the left eye does feel iritated and strained. He will try to get in touch with Dr. Stein tomorrow and then see what other questions he might have.