Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince

Hello there, Just a query my friends son got sand in his eye

Customer Question

Hello there, Just a query my friends son got sand in his eye when he was around 3 years old. Quite a bit got in his eye, but it was totally washed out straight away and everything was fine. I was just wondering whether this could have caused damage as he has a slight lazy eye. His father has eye problems so could his lazy eye be caused from the sand or is it most likely hereditary, thanks
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 2 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

Since your question is very specific whether fall of sand in the eye can cause a lazy eye, then NO , sand partical falling into the eye( assuming everything was fine after the eye wash and no corneal opacity was there) will not result in lazy eye. He needs to be evaluated for the cause of the lazy eye by an ophthalmologist . Many a times it is treatable upto 10-12 years of age. It is better to rule out a refractive error and give corrective glasses if present. If there is a squint, then it can be either treated with glasses or with surgery.

Thank you and best wishes.

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and/or positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry just to confirm. He is 9 years old now and wears glasses from the optician and they said it is most probably heridatary.

His eye was fine after and there was no irratation, so just to confirm his lazy eye was not due to the sand.

Thanks for your answer

You are right that the lazy eye is not due to sand in the eye.

If he is wearing glasses then it is a good thing. He needs to wear them as instructed to prevent amblyopia ( reduced vision). It is possible that his lazy eye could have been hereditary.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you have a nice day

kind regards

You are most welcome.

Regards