Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I had laser surgery to seal retinal tears in both eyes 11 months

Customer Question

I had laser surgery to seal retinal tears in both eyes 11 months ago. I have macular pucker in right eye. I am 60 and self employed using computers. I see wavy horizontal lines on an amsler grid. That's how reading on the computer is seen as well. The surgeon says it will not get worse but I need help for my computer work. Are there special lenses that could help me read better. I tend to close the right eye (the more affected one to read better). Thanks.

Alex
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

It is very unfortunate that you are experiencing the visual disturbances due to macular pucker( also called epiretinal membrane- ERM). Unfortunately there are no special lenses which can help to rectify the images. Since this distortion of images is not due to any refractive error or curvature problem ( corneal curvature), glasses will be of no help to improve the distortion of images. Though you have undergone laser treatment for retinal tears, it would not help macular pucker as such. One of the indications for surgery in case of macular pucker is distortion of vision which interferes with day to day vision. Most often macular pucker is left alone otherwise as the complications which arise out of the surgery might be of some concern. The decision to undergo surgery for the ERM would depend on the extent of visual distubance and the severity with which it is affecting the daily routine.

For more information in this regard you can follow this link-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epiretinal_membrane

Thank you and best wishes.

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and/or positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The laser surgery to seal the retinal holes is what caused the vision distortion ie wavy horizontal lines affecting my reading. It is not debelitating but more of a nuisance. I have been told that the wavy lines are due to scar tissue from the retinal surgery to seal the retinal tears. I never had any problems with seeing prior to the surgery for these tears. I am told there is a wrinkle in the retina as a result of the scar tissue from the surgery for the retinal tears. Any further thoughts / comments?

Thank you for the reply and additional information.

From the given information it looks like you must have a retinal hole in the viscinity of the macula( the centre of the retina which is responsible for most of the day vision ), as retinal holes are usually seen in the periphery and their laser treatment/scar never cause visual disturbance.This explains why the laser treatment has left a scar which is interfering with your vision now. Unfortunately the wrinkle or macular pucker cannot be rectified with spectacle correction. Most often in the absence of debilitating symptoms, it is left alone. Only when it interferes with day to day routine is surgery recommended( vitrectomy with membrane peel). Most common complication after the surgery is cataract formation , raised intraocular pressure. Visual recovery after surgery is slow and may take months to improve.To summarise , the vision cannot be improved with any special lenses in such a case.

Thank you and best wishes.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for hour help. Much appreciated!
You are most welcome.