Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

i just got hair dye in my eye. What do I do? I have flushed

i just got hair dye in my eye. What do I do? I have flushed it for several minutes with cool water
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

You have just done the right thing by rinsing the eye with water. This is THE most important part of the treatment in such cases as it flushes away the irritant out of the eye and thus minimises the adverse effects. This would amount to a mild chemical injury to the eye. If you are already putting antibiotic eye drops for the conjunctivitis, you just need to continue the same as before. In addition you can start putting lubricating eye drops such as preservative free Refresh tears eye drops , 1 drop 4 times a day for the next 2 weeks. In case you develope new symptoms such as increase in redness/pain/watering in that eye, then it is better to get the eye examined by an ophthalmologist for a closer look and for start of anti-inflammatory eye drops. But in most of the cases of similar nature, the eye symptoms resolve with just eye wash and lubricating eye drops only.

Thank you and best wishes.

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and/or positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist