Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

63 and have macula degeneration..vitamins prescribed by my eye dr

I am 63 and have macular degeneration. I am beginning to have visual problems, I take vitamins prescribed by my eye dr. I've heard a lot about microcurrent therapy and frequency specific microcurrent therapy for Macular degeneration. Is this a possible therapy, should I consult a retinal specialist?

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Doctor DanB : While there have been a couple of small-scale non-rigorous studies that demonstrate some benefit of micro current therapy in patients with macular degeneration the American Academy of ophthalmology has the opinion that it does not show significant efficacy to balance out the risk of the procedures for the eyes and the financial risks. While it is possible you may receive some benefits from it, there is no data to justify with any certainty that you would. Does that make sense?
Doctor DanB : Does this information help address your concerns? Does this make sense? Do you have any other concerns about this that we haven't addressed? It appears you are momentarily offline.  I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need; please just respond with any further needs and I will address them then.If not, Please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.