Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Since I asked about the cataract surgery I have gotten worse.

Customer Question

Since I asked about the cataract surgery I have gotten worse. I have been going thru torture. Went back to the eye Dr and told them about my concerns. I can't drive at night because the glare is so bad and it is 80 per cent worse than before. All he was interested in was fitting me for new glasses. Finally when he got done testing me for glasses he went back and looked to see what was going on and he said that I had wrinkles in the coating that they put on to hold the lens in place on both eyes. He said that I would have to wait 3 months and he would go in and laser them to fix the poblem. In the meantime I can not drive at night which means I cannot work at night. I want to go to another Dr to get a second opinion to see if they can be fixed sooner so I can see at night. Do you have any suggestons on what I should do? Also what should I do about this Dr? I need help I don't know what to do
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : I believe what your ophthalmologist is talking about is a wrinkle/opacity in your posterior capsule. This can easily be causing your increasing glare issues.
Dr. Rick : The good news? It can be easily fixed by a simple laser treatment in the office. Now. Why does he want to wait 3 months when yiuvare having so many problems? Well, I hate to be the one to tell you this, but it is all about money in this case (most likely) . You see, your insurance company will not pay for you to have this simple cure done until 90 days post op. Don't you just companies?
Dr. Rick : I don't think there is anything your doc can do to get them to change their mind, but you can ask.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help. Take care.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The Dr says that the lens will fall out if he does it now is that possibly?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
There is a very slight risk of that theory. However in almost two decades of practice it has never happened to me and I have done a number old these laser treatments, some as soon as the first week after surgery. If he is careful there should be no problem doing it now.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
do you have an approximate cost on having both eyes fixed with out the insurance? Would the laser treatment change the perscription of my glasses that he is prescribing? is this something that is common with cataract surgery?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
The laser is usully around $900/eye but this varies.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
It should not change your glasses prescription and it is fairly common after cataract surgery.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
I see you have reviewed my answer. Is there anything else I can help you with? If not please feel free to press the accept button.