Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

my optician said that i am astigmatic and i need toric contact

Customer Question

my optician said that i am astigmatic and i need toric contact lenses, can i buy normal contact lenses? they are much cheaper
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 4 years ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Doctor DanB : You certainly can purchase and wear regular contact lenses, but the astigmatism that you have in your eyes will not be corrected. Therefore your vision will not be as sharp in the regular contact lenses as they would be in contact lenses that corrected for astigmatism. Does that make sense?
Doctor DanB : Does this information help address your concerns? Does this make sense? Do you have any other concerns about this that we haven't addressed? It appears you are momentarily offline.  I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need; please just respond with any further needs and I will address them then.If not, Please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.