Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

Hello...I woke this morning with my eye watering as if I were

Hello...I woke this morning with my eye watering as if I were crying. My upper eye lid is swollen and eye is itchy and sensitive to light.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 2 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

Do you wear contact lenses?

Any history of trauma to the eye/ fall of foreign body in the eye?

Is there any pain or redness in that eye? Do you find any change in the vision in that eye?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do wear contact lenses but did not have them in last night. I take them out daily. No history of trauma. There is slight pain and redness. The pain is not constant. It feels as if there is something in my eye. Towards the upper right side.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The only change in vision is due to excessive watering.

Thank you for the reply and additional information.

The cause for profuse watering in one eye along with redness and pain/discomfort could be due to a corneal abrasion or foreign body in the eye( even a tiny speck or dust or anything can cause such symptoms). When in doubt it is better to flush the eye with copious amount of clean potable water( say about a litre). If you are comfortable doing it yourself in front of a mirror, you can try everting the upper eyelid in that eye and look for presence of any foreign body beneath the lid( hold a torchlight with the other hand). If seen it can be gently removed with the help of a sterile cotton bud. If there is nothing seen on the under surface of the eyelid, then it is better to use lubricating eye drops such as preservative free refresh tears eye drops , 1 drop 4 times a day. Patch the eye at bedtime with lacrilube eye ointment, in case there is a superficial corneal abrasion. This will heal very well within 24 hours with this treatment. But in case symptoms persist or worsen inspite of this, then it is better to get the eye examined by an ophthalmologist under slit lamp for a closer look and further treatment.

Please feel free to ask follow up questions, if any.

Thank you and best wishes.

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and/or positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince