Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

no symptoms which could be from different shape of eye (asian eye)

Is it possible to have closed-angle glaucome with no symptoms which could be from different shape of eye (asian eye)?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Asian eyeballs and Caucasian eyeballs are actually the same shape. The difference is only due to how the eyelids are shaped and the skin formed. As such this would not be an issue in angle closure glaucoma (acg)

Customer:

My doctor recommended a laser iridotomy. Is this a good idea with no symptoms of closed-angle glacoma?

Dr. Rick :

I would expect that your ophthalmologist, prior to recommending laser iridotomy, would have done a complete eye exam which included directly viewing the anatomy of your angles with a procedure called gonioscopy.

Customer:

My doctor looked at my eye and refused to dilate them until after the laser treatment.

Dr. Rick :

It is very possible, and fairly common, to find that a patients angles are "narrow or occludable " even without symptoms of ACG. It is also possible to have intermittent ACG without symptoms.

Dr. Rick :

So what am I trying to say? Yes. If your ophthalmologist recommended this laser treatment I believe it is a very good idea.

Dr. Rick :

It is very low risk and the benefits are great. You do not want to have an angle closure glaucoma attack....and the laser iridotomy will prevent this from happening.

Dr. Rick :

I also agree with that plan and have told patients with narrow angles the same thing myself.

Dr. Rick :

Although sometimes, due to an emergency retina problem, I have had to risk dilating the eye before an iridotomy....however I was ready to intervene if an attack started.

Dr. Rick :

But it made my nurse and I very uncomfortable :o)

Customer:

Is there any concerns with having laser treatment when there is actually no closed-angle glaucoma

Dr. Rick :

That is an excellent question. As far as will a laser iridotomy do any significant damage to a perfectly normal eye or cause any problems in the future with vision etc? No. It really wouldn't.

Dr. Rick :

That being said an ophthalmologist would have to be either unethical to do this or a very poor clinician to not be able to know when an angle is narrow or not.

Customer:

Thank you for the resolution.

Dr. Rick :

I don't think any eye docs in practice in the USA would fall into either of these categories...at least none that I know of.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. I wish you the best of luck.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.