Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I saw a new optometrist today because along with needing to

Customer Question

I saw a new optometrist today because along with needing to have a routine eye check I had noticed by feeling both eyes at the same time that my left eye seemed larger, protuding further from the eye socket. She could also feel that it was larger. After all the tests, including glucoma, dilation, etc., she concluded that it is probably an anomaly that I've had for a long time. It is not visable when looking at my eye, only when comparing both eyes at the same time by hands. It does not hurt. Does this sound resonable. I wear progressive lenses and I'm a 72 yr old female in good health on thyroid, HBP med.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Good evening.

<span class="JA_chatAuthorName"XXXXX:

I got an email that you had answered my question but I don

<span class="JA_chatAuthorName"XXXXX:

don't see an answer

Dr. Rick :

did the optometrist put a "adjustable ruler with prisms" (hertel exophthalmometer) across your nose/eyes to measure how much your eyes may differ in the amount that they stick out?

Dr. Rick :

Can you see my responses?

<span class="JA_chatAuthorName"XXXXX:

No

Dr. Rick :

did you see my question?

<span class="JA_chatAuthorName"XXXXX:

I answered no to your question about the adjustable ruler....

Dr. Rick :

Ok......got it.

Dr. Rick :

Well, that is the difference between an optometrist and an ophthalmologist. Without using that specific instrument there is, truly, no way to tell if one eye is sticking out more then the other. Also, while I don't think that you have anything to worry about a "complete, dilated eye exam" by an optometrist really, in my opinion, does very little to rule out any pathology that may be present.

Dr. Rick :

If the chat system is not allowing you to see my responses we can switch to Q&A format. This a a bit slower but works well. I'm sorry about the technical problems we seem to be having.

<span class="JA_chatAuthorName"XXXXX:

I think I would need a referral for that

Dr. Rick :

If I don't hear from you soon I will switch to Q&A and we can continue there...

<span class="JA_chatAuthorName"XXXXX:

I just sent a response

<span class="JA_chatAuthorName"XXXXX:

are you not able to see it ?

Dr. Rick :

It's not working....let's go to Q&A. See you there.....just type the same way, only an email will be sent between posts.....

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Ok. I'm here. Let me copy/paste our chat conversation here so that we are both at the same point:

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : Good evening. XXXXX: I got an email that you had answered my question but I don XXXXX: don't see an answer
Dr. Rick : did the optometrist put a "adjustable ruler with prisms" (hertel exophthalmometer) across your nose/eyes to measure how much your eyes may differ in the amount that they stick out?
Dr. Rick : Can you see my responses? XXXXX: No
Dr. Rick : did you see my question? XXXXX: I answered no to your question about the adjustable ruler....
Dr. Rick : Ok......got it.
Dr. Rick : Well, that is the difference between an optometrist and an ophthalmologist. Without using that specific instrument there is, truly, no way to tell if one eye is sticking out more then the other. Also, while I don't think that you have anything to worry about a "complete, dilated eye exam" by an optometrist really, in my opinion, does very little to rule out any pathology that may be present.
Dr. Rick : If the chat system is not allowing you to see my responses we can switch to Q&A format. This a a bit slower but works well. I'm sorry about the technical problems we seem to be having. XXXXX: I think I would need a referral for that
Dr. Rick : If I don't hear from you soon I will switch to Q&A and we can continue there... XXXXX: I just sent a response XXXXX: are you not able to see it ?
Dr. Rick : It's not working....let's go to Q&A. See you there.....just type the same way, only an email will be sent between posts.....

I will stand by for your response....
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
where is Q&A
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
It all depends on what your insurance company requires, or your medical system requires if you are outside the USA, whether or not you will need a referral to see an ophthalmologist.

Since you have a history of thyroid problems I think it would be best to see an eye MD as optometrists really are not trained well enough to diagnose or treat any significant eye diseases.

Does this make sense to you?

We are in Q&A now :o)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
You pressed the accept button already and I want to make sure that you are happy with the information I have provided.

I am standing by.....let me know what else I can do for you tonight.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
I do want to make it clear that this is not an emergency. If you can get into see and ophthalmologist in the near future, say a month or two, I think that would be OK.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your answers, it convinced me to get a 2nd opinion from an MD specialist.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
My pleasure. If you have a chance, drop me a line and let me know how things turn out.