Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I have had chronic periorbital edema, especially in the upper

I have had chronic periorbital edema, especially in the upper eyelid region. Is there a cure or treatment for this?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

The reason that there are so many creams out there to address your issue is, as you might have already learned, they really don't work :(

The most common cause for the edema you are experiencing around your eyes is a breakdown of the orbital septum and natural changes of the skin in the eyelids over time.

The only proven cure or treatment for this issue is a surgery called blepharoplasty. This can be covered by insurance as long as your surgeon does a few other tests, one of which is a visual field, showing that the tissues are blocking your vision. Otherwise the surgery would have to be paid out of your pocket.

Here is a very good article on this treatment:

Does this make sense to you?

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.