Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

i am 52 have suffered hayfever for years it comes and gos and

Customer Question

i am 52 have suffered hayfever for years it comes and gos and eye drops help. but recently for 4 months my eyes are sore burning and watering 24/ 7 went to docs and said drops are not doing it they are so sore he gave me prenisilone drops for 5 days and they have done nothing the regular antihistime drops do nothing anymore my vision is blurring a lot and even tried antihistime tablets no go the only thing is a shower and a cold cloth but cant spend all day like this what could it be
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

Burning sensation and watering from eyes is very often seen in case of dry eyes.

Dry eyes can occur from involvement of any of the 3 layers of the tear film. The tear film has 3 layers- aqueous, lipid and mucin. The most frquent layer to be affected is the aqueous layer. It is seen due to increased evapouration of tears as can be seen with excessive hours in front of the laptop/computer/television or long hours of continous reading or writing. It can also be precipitated by excessive exposure to air conditioning or even very hot and humid climate. The treatment is in the form of tear supplements such as over the counter preservative free Refresh tears eye drops , 1 drop 4 times a day for about a month.If severe then lubricating eye ointment can also be used such as Lacrilube eye ointment, once at bedtime. Both of these eye medicines are available over the counter.

For seasonal allergic conjunctivitis, I would suggest that Pataday(olopatadine) eye drops, 1 drop twice a day can be used for 2 months. It is quite effective and helps to prevent recurrances.It is a prescription medicine. If you have not been examined by an eye doctor yet , then it is better to consult one, if the symptoms persist even after 1 month of regular use of the above suggested eye drops.

Please feel free to ask follow up questions, if any.

Thank you and best wishes.

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and/or positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist