Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

I think that I have been exposed to MRSA. My nose might be

I think that I have been exposed to MRSA. My nose might be infected and my right eye. How can I tell and what can I do?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 4 years ago.

Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. Why do you think your eye is infected? What symptoms are you having?

I have some discomfort in the tear duct area, itching and some burning. My nose is burning and some light blood in one nostril up high.

Doctor DanB : Does it itch bad enough that you want to claw your eyes out sometimes?

No, a slight itch and tingling near the tear duct, redness through the schlera as if i am having an allergy reaction in my eye.

Doctor DanB :

Have you had a cold or stomach flu recently, or have you been around anyone with either of those or a red eye?

no, I have been around an office mate who has had a chronic staph infection.

Doctor DanB :

It's difficult to pick up a staph infection from casual contact with someone with MRSA, but not impossible. If that is the case, however, I recommend that you see an ophthalmologist who can diagnose and treat this, because the only treatment for this is an antibiotic that must be prescribed.

Doctor DanB :

Does this information help address your concerns? Does this make sense? Do you have any other concerns that I haven't addressed?

I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.