Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I have a eye infection and it has like a mucus in it, I do

I have a eye infection and it has like a mucus in it, I do not have insurance right now. Is there anything over the counter that you could recommed or a doctor that would not charge me to much, thank you very much for any help that you could give me.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 5 years ago.

Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?

Customer:

yes

Doctor DanB :

How long have you had these symptoms?

Customer:

for 3 days

Doctor DanB :

Is it a lot of mucus? In other words, are you spending all day long with a tissue to your eye to catch the drainage or is it primarily upon waking that you have the mucus?

Customer:

pretty much all day

Doctor DanB :

Is the mucus thick or thin? What color?

Customer:

kinda thick

Doctor DanB :

What color is the mucus? Is it in one eye or both?

Customer:

white , one eye only

Doctor DanB :

Have you recently had a cold or stomach flu? If not, have you been around anyone with either of these, or a red eye?

Customer:

no i havent

Doctor DanB :

Does the eye itch significantly?

Customer:

yes

Doctor DanB :

Last question...do you suffer from seasonal or environmental allergies?

Customer:

no

Customer:

I'am using stye eye relief now

Doctor DanB :

I suspect that this is either an allergy or possibly a viral conjunctivitis? Either one of these can be helped by using a drop called Naphcon-A which you can find OTC at your local drug store. Along with cool compresses this can help the eyes feel better and less irritated. While this won't make an infection resolve, this drop can control the symptoms. If after several days use, however, the itching is still significantly present, then I would recommend switching to a drop like Zaditor or Alaway, both OTC allergy drops that work well for allergic conjunctivitis, which I suspect would be the case if your symptoms didn't resolve on the other drop after several days.

Doctor DanB :

Does that make sense?

Customer:

yes sir , and thank you

Doctor DanB :

My pleasure. Do you have any other concerns about this topic that I haven't addressed?

Doctor DanB :

If not, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however—we can continue to discuss any of your concerns regarding this topic without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for trusting me to help you with your concerns!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.