Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I developed sudden blurred vision in one eye, with pain6 months

I developed sudden blurred vision in one eye, with pain6 months ago. I have sen a neuroopthamologist, had an MRI and CT, with negative results. My Dr. said he did not know what it is and he will see me in 3 months. I get extreme pain behind the eye, causing headaches and migraines. The pain is there narly all the time. The vision seems to be getting worse especially driving at night, due to halos. There are no other neuroopthamologits in Ottawa Canda so I can not get a second opinion. I apparently have a 'pale optic nerve'.Any suggestions or help? thanks Debbie
Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today. Our chat system seems to be having problems this morning...sorry about that.
I must admit that the best trained person to evaluate and treat you for your condition is a neuro-ophthalmologist. While I understand how frustrating it can be for you not to know what is going on the good news is that your complete exam and extensive workup has eliminated a large number of things that could be causing your symptoms....many of then being bad things....

The pale optic nerve suggests that your vision loss is due to neurological issues, damage to the optic nerve etc. The differential diagnosis tree for this is rather straight forward and I am sure that your doctor has fully explored all these possibilities.

So. What can you do now? You might want to travel to a University Teaching Program where a team of ophthalmology Professors can evaluate your condition from the perspective of a their individual sub-specialties and areas of research interest. This team approach might just get to the bottom of what is causing your physical findings and continued pain.

You can find an ophthalmology program near you by searching the internet, asking friends and family or consulting with your neuro-ophthalmologist.

Does this make sense to you?

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.