Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I was hit in the eye with a small foreign object and sustained

Customer Question

I was hit in the eye with a small foreign object and sustained an injury. I went to the emergency and the doctor on call tested my eye and said there was a small abrasion.
It went away after about 6 weeks but now is back. The symptoms are a few black spots that shift when I look in different directions. I am afraid there is more damage that the emergency doctor seen. I can see clearly but sometimes it looks like a mist floating across that eye.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Have you noticed any flashes of light in your vision?

Dr. Rick :

Also, how fast/large was the object that hit your eye?

Customer:

No

Customer:

Very small and was thrown by a kid

Dr. Rick :

Does your eye feel like it has something in it right now?

Customer:

No

Customer:

I have no pain either

Dr. Rick :

Ok. I do not think that this is the abrasion coming back. What you are experiencing is called a posterior vitreous detachment (PVD)

Dr. Rick :

This is a common event that happens in many people.

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes called the vitreous. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself, forms little clumps that you can see as dots, lines or bugs. As these clumps form the vitreous pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you may see.

It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam is precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightning storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Dr. Rick :

Could it have been precipitated by the thing hitting you in the eye? Perhaps, but from what you said it was not a very energetic blow to your eye so I don't think it is more likely that you just had this happen to you rather then saying that it is the kids fault.

Customer:

Do I need to have my family Dr make an appointment

Dr. Rick :

It would be best for you to be examined by an ophthalmologist.....not an optician or an optometerist in the near future. However, unless you have any of the symptoms of retinal involvement I outlined above, it is not an emergency.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the YES button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else you would like to ask me or anything I could explain in more depth for you?

Customer:

No thank you

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a good day.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.

Please feel free to ask me another question – if you’re a subscriber, you can do so at no additional cost beyond your monthly payment. Please bookmark my profile page here so you can come back and ask me a question anytime: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-rick/