Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

increase in a thick, white fatty tissue under the skin itself..my eyes

as I am aging, I'm getting more and more puffiness under my eyes. When I look closely it appears that the bags are being caused by an increase in a thick, white fatty tissue under the skin itself. I used to have a really piercing beautiful look to my eyes and now I can't stand the growing bags. too vain I suppose...can you help? cosmetic remedies seem bogus.

thanks Kyler
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

you are correct....there are thousands of cosmetic products out there to treat this condition. Why so many? Because they don't work :)

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you have orbital fat prolapse. This is a benign, but very common, condition.

With age the thin, tough membrane (orbital septum) that keeps the normal fat pad in place behind your eye becomes weak and tears. When this happens you start to notice the swelling, or bags, under your eyes. It is nothing to worry about.

The only way to treat this problem is with surgery, called a blepharoplasty. Many times it can be done in a procedure room in the ophthalmologist’s office.

Dr. Rick :

Plastic surgeons and oculo-plastic surgeons (specially trained ophthalmologists) also do this type of surgery.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

Are you there?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

so what can I do in the meantime?

Dr. Rick :

Makeup is about the only thing......

Dr. Rick :

However, as I guy I really can't give you any advice along these lines?

Dr. Rick :

oops....ignore the question mark above.... :)

Customer:

the surgery is probably elective...

Dr. Rick :

Ya....Insurance companies found that if they cover this surgery then the CEO's only get 4 or 5 million in yearly bonus' and, I'm sure, you can understand how difficult if would be to ask a CEO to get by on such meager fare.....

Customer:

will it keep getting worse?

Dr. Rick :

ummmm....that is a very good question. As the tissue gets thinner and continues to tear more fat could come forward.....it really varies from person to person. Also, there is really nothing you can do to affect the rate that this does or does not progress.

Customer:

when I examine my eye...and pull back on the skin..I see this large, white, fatty, freshy tissue...is that what gets removed

Customer:

sorry...I meant "fleshy"

Dr. Rick :

yes. That is fat that you are seeing. Not all that gets removed since the fat pads are needed to cushion and position your eye and eye muscles etc in your orbit. Just the fat tissue that is "pooching" forward is removed.

Dr. Rick :

Got it :)

Dr. Rick :

I hate when my fingers don't type what I tell them to....

Customer:

yes thanks good luck with your practice and thanks

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a good day.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the YES button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.

Please feel free to ask me another question – if you’re a subscriber, you can do so at no additional cost beyond your monthly payment. Please bookmark my profile page here so you can come back and ask me a question anytime: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-rick/